View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #181
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsoncp View Post
Thanks for doing all that work - I'm sure it took a while to redo all those stadiums.

For those of us who want to learn your ways, what do you mean by 3d fields? Did you add in a pitchers mound, or did you do some deeper work with grass height, etc on other parts of the field?
Basically, the "3d" field means that the various grass patterns have been drawn out. The infield shapes are redone, but the "white" elements and the mound are silvam's - the mound, bases, plate, etc. actually have 3d depth although that's not particularly apparent in-game. The big thing I did was figure out good methods for replicating the mow patterns (some of which are pretty complicated) and the various field graphics that Daniel created - basically each different shade of grass is a separate face. I did this for Omnibus Park and decided to retrace all of Daniel's fields. It was a lot of work with guides and the protractor, as well as a stroke of luck in finding a plugin that can import SVG vector images with varying degrees of success:

https://github.com/sbliven/sketchup_svg_importer

I've also gotten better at tracing shapes with the curve tools, although the SVG import is definitely quicker when it works. As an example of all the different faces, here's what Flagg Park's outfield looks like in SketchUp with the edges visible.
Attached Images