View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #19
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
I agree with you about the neutralized weather. I use a custom file for that too. The weather affects the simulation if you do not neutralize it. I think I remember Markus saying that it affects pitcher stamina. I don't know what else or to what extent it affects other things.

The import settings are a bit confusing. Since I use a 5-yr base for my player ratings, I am still going to be basing the player ratings on at least 40*5 = 200 AB. The values in the import settings are averages rather than raw totals. So 3-yr recalc set to 100 AB is the same as 1-yr recalc set to 300 AB in terms of requiring at least 300 total AB without getting the ratings adjusted or weakened. I have not seen any issues with players having inflated ratings using these settings and I even did a search in Lahman to see the highest batting averages for players between 200-250 AB and did not see any issues.

I personally think that 200 or 250 AB is enough to be confident in batter ratings. Remember that over 5 seasons, most guys will have way more than 200 AB anyways. One issue you will have in the simulation is the WWII seasons and if I set this to 40 AB then Hank Greenberg will never get his ratings adjusted or weakened. So, you might call this my Hank Greenberg setting.

The same goes for pitchers. By setting this to 10 IP, that is actually a sample of 200 IP for SP's. The game quadruples this value for SP, so 10 becomes 40, and over 5 seasons this becomes 200 IP. I don't think I need a bigger sample size than 200 IP to rate a pitcher. For relievers this is still a minimum of 50 IP.
Are you sure that this is the way this works, with a 3 or 5-year recalc on? Because I have played a LOT of historical OOTP and always used something like 300/100 for batters and 40/25 for pitchers, which if I understand you correctly translates into 3x or 5x that amount--up to 1500/500 at bats. Yet I have never sensed that in my replays. This has also not stopped borderline to below-borderline pitchers (meaning good stats with low IP) from being rated higher than I would like them to be.

Last edited by warneke; 04-03-2018 at 10:29 PM.
warneke is offline   Reply With Quote