View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #76
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
I know I've played baseball games that announce players' names. So I wouldn't have thought it too difficult to have it done in 3.0. No? I was hoping that in a future version we could hear brief introductions before a fight too. Something like,"In the red corner from [city + country], [fighter's name]!

In the meantime, would it at least be possible, in the not-too-distant future, to have the announcer at the end say "The winner by unanimous decision..." and then display the winner's name on the screen?

Cap
Its not difficult to get the game to play sounds, it sourcing them all. Big games, with big budgets can pay an actor to say all the names in their database with just the right inflection. This would be a massive task, however if someone wants to do it, then PM me..

Of course this would not work for fighters added manually or via RFG. The only way to cover those is to use a voice synth module. I have played with this on linux already (hint!) but it does not sound very good so I did not persue it.

So the best design I can see for this would be to create a folder "fighter_names" or such like. In there you can place as many or as little recorded fighter names as you like. Then when I want a player I look to see if his name is there. If not I say "The winner by TKO is the blue corner!" which is the generic fall back.

Then if one day we find the speech synth that sounds good we can use that instead...

As you might imagine, this is more than a simple bug fix, so I will put it on my task list for after tbcb2013. This might not mean tb3, it might be a patch, it all depends on how much time I have.

Last edited by pisdpaul; 05-27-2013 at 06:05 AM.
pisdpaul is offline   Reply With Quote