View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #14
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

I do not see the MILB agreeing to the recent proposal unless they are given no choice. I believe MLB is looking at a way to raise the pay for MILB players, especially at lower levels, without drastically raising expenses. By getting rid of 1 to 3 levels of minors per team, and at least 100 players per team they can help to deflect some of the costs. They also are not happy with some of the facilities in lower minor leagues. I have to agree. I have been to a lot of minor league games. Most AAA and AA teams have nice facilities, but when you look at A+, A-, SS, and R levels, some have nice facilities, while others are terrible.

That said, the recent proposal, would not be good for MILB owners, except maybe the teams owned by their MLB parent. Many owners whose team did not move to a new league, would likely lose revenue. Some teams might be dropped altogether. some teams could move from A+ to AAA which would likely mean more revenue, but other teams could be moved the other direction, and would likely mean a loss in revenue, or a team could be dropped altogether, and wind up in an Indy league, which would also mean a loss in revenue.

They have until end of 2020 to sign an agreement, so this probably is a first step in the process, and MLB is asking for something really big, because unlike past agreements with MILB they want some actual changes this time.

The last CBA the owners started out asking for a Salary Cap and a drastic change or getting rid of the arbitration system. They knew they were probably not going to get either, but they were just feeling the players out. This is what is often done in negotiations, especially early in the negotiations.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote