View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipschap1 View Post
Battists: you are a contributor of high status and long standing and I certainly appreciate you providing this perspective. I do respect your views, but allow me to disagree at least in a few respects.

* Likely 95% of users want to manage a Major League team from Day 1. They would be conversely frustrated if they wanted to play career mode but had to manage through 15 minor league seasons before they could get an opportunity in the bigs.

Correct. But all they need to do is *not* select the 'start unemployed' option and simply pick a team.

* Of the 5% who remain, likely some percentage want to start managing in the minors, but are happy to pick their team from the start, not wait for an offer.

Same response as above; this is not relevant to the 'start unemployed' feature. Just pick a team and go.

* At the end of the day, this is just a super-niche feature, and as such it really hasn't gotten the attention it would deserve if Markus' intent was to make this a major one. He has provided the ability to do this, but the team just hasn't focused on fleshing this out.

Fair enough. I do believe substantial improvement is possible, but I too won't go so far as to say it's anything like a critical issue. As one other poster mentioned, 'house rules' can be made to apply here. Not an optimal solution, but a working one, and it's what I too do in practice.

* As to your second point, the game was NEVER intended to reflect true high school (or college) baseball. High school and college leagues are only in the game to provide the ability to seed professional leagues with players with accumulated stats. Don't expect the game to handle those leagues akin to real life.

Again, fair enough. However when creating a fictional league, there is the option to set it at the high school or college level, which implies at least something of a real-life analog.

As I've mentioned before, some number of years back 'start unemployed' worked vastly differently. I remember playing one game in which I didn't even get an offer until mid-season. Perhaps players found that *too* tough. But it was completely opened up a release or two later.

I don't mean to be overly critical. There is nothing anywhere that compares with OOTP and it gets better with every release. If 'career mode' is not a priority I'll live with my house rules. Not ideal, but quite workable.
The reasons stated by battists are correct, and that's why it is the way it is - because a lot of people wanted it that way.

It's fine to say don't select the "start unemployed" option and pick a team, but that doesn't work. You don't get hired when you "just pick a team". You don't get a news article, it doesn't get recorded in history as a hiring. You just start as manager of said team.

You're right, it used to be harder, then the masses complained, so Markus changed it.

I guess there's no happy medium in this one.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 07-25-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote