View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #39
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle View Post
What I know is that strictly measured footspeed,(home to 1B time, 1B to 3B, etc.) is an important part of player evaluation in professional and major division NCAA baseball.

The game doesn't really account for this in the way it's valued in reality. It's always bothered me some because it will occasionally produce an unrealistic combination of baserunning abilities with position range ratings.

I'm sure it's a function of the way the game engine works to produce accurate statistical results. Which I've come to accept.

But if you are hoping to see speed as an exact measurable, it's not here. It's certainly approximated when you see high ratings in all three categories.

In the real world (again Professional/major college) there is no such thing (for example) as an OF rated as ++ Range (scouted evaluation) who doesn't have at least + Footspeed (measured times against level averages). This isn't to say that it guarantees a good/great overall OF rating, because there are obviously many variables that make a player carry a high defensive position rating.

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but I have reached the point of believing that the system overall approximates the effects of measured footspeed as best it can.
It is doubtful you will ever have raw speed for historical players, or things like how pitch speed or repitoire.
Some of these things need to be manuallly fixed

There is plenty of books, mags blogs on players other attributes.
Randy Jones awesome sinker ball
Clemente FASSSSSSSSSST

A combination of known facts along with likely attributes such as CF is probably your fastest man can help the ratings be more realistic.

You should be able to develop as a base stealer and baserunning instincts. Your raw speed likely peaks around 20, with more potential to go down over time rather than up
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote