View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #194
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Islandian Pro Alliance

Saturday, May 26, 2001

Tycobbian Union - East Division

Luxora Crushes Ninjas 9-1, 6th Win in a Row
It was no contest at De la Vega Stadium in Luxora. The hometown Zorros strolled to their 6th straight triumph, excelled in every facet of the game and annihilated Ginza 9-1 with a 16-hit rampage. And on the hill Francisco Fernandes (4-2 2.50) sparkled, too. He surrendered a bunch of hits, 10 in all, but bore down when runners got in scoring position and managed to get out of harm's way. Fernandes notched seven strikeouts and allowed only one base on balls. Hitting-wise it was third baseman Rico Vina (.289) with a perfect 4-for-4 day and two RBIs, catcher Eric Richter (.382) with 3-for-5 and three RBIs, including a homer and right fielder Pedro Vizquel (.294) with three hits. It was the Ninjas third loss in succession. Toshira Tamura (1-2 5.28) was torched for five runs and eight hits in less than three innings. He was the loser.

Ginza manager Huroko Uchiyama spoke to reporters after the game and said, "We still have three more games left in the series. I hope we can get out town alive. The Z's are really sizzling."

Luxora (21-13) is the number one team in the TU East race, while the Ninjas (17-19) are in the fourth position.

Humdinger Between CC and Nats
Cape Coral overcame a 5-0 Ozarka lead after five innings to come back and nip the Nats 10-9 at Jock Ewing Stadium and deal them their 7th loss in a row. The Hurricanes surged back and led 10-6 going into the last inning and narrrowly escaped with a victory. Spearheading the 'Canes attack were shortstop Bobo Hatfield (.255) with a three-run double, left fielder Danny Mullins (.300) with two hits and two RBIs and center fielder James Middleton (.358) with two hits and a couple of RBIs. Ozarka splurged with 18 hits, but still couldn't bring home the win. Shortstop Gil Lantz (.261) cracked three hits and drove in four scores and first baseman Floyd Snow (.268) was 4-for-5 with three runs scored and one batted in, As far as pitching, it is enough to say that Katsuyuki Nagashima (1-3 3.71) got his 4th save, but took it on the chin until he finally got the final out. The win went to Cody Burg (1-1 4.79), who tossed a runless sixth with two strikeouts. Ozarka's closer Alec DiMaggio (3-2 2.53) had a dismal day on the mound and lost it by giving up three runs, two hits and three walks in only 1+ innings. The Hurricanes took an 8-5 lead against him and never relinguished it.

Cape Coral (19-16) and Ozarka (19-17) are running second and third to Luxora (21-13) in the TU East Division. The Hurricanes are 2.5 games behind and the Naturals are three games off the pace of the Zorros.

Stallions Race by Hellcats
Jerry Harrison is 21-year-old, stands 6'7" and throws the heck out of a baseball. The big South Fork southpaw struck out 10 Hartsdale Hellcats en route to an easy 9-1 victory at Pioneer Park. The Stallions chalked up their fourth triumph in a row. Harrison (2-3 3.60) limited them to just five hits and walked four in a strong performance. In a well-balanced offense the Stallions numbered 11 hits with everybody in the lineup except Harrison getting a base hit. Center fielder Mike Yatstrzemski (.272) walloped a two-run double and third baseman Glenn Holliday (.237) and Mac Stewart (.253) unloaded solo homers to pace South Fork. Hellcat starter Jim Sears (2-4 3.73) had a rocky start and exited in the six-run third after permitting eight runs, five hits and four free passes.

Stallions skipper Deroche "LIps" Leon was all smiles in the clubhouse after the game. He told his club, "Now you're playing my kind of baseball. Like the old Gashouse Gang that would do anything short of killing to win a game...and I love it. I know they hate us in Hartsdale. They will soon be in last place and rightly so. They're playing like a bunch of big pansies. No guts."

Asked to comment, the Hellcat manager, feisty Zim Donner, retorted, "That's just Lips being Lips. He's all talk and a gutless wonder. Everybody in the Islands knows it. He better stay away from me. I'll kick his butt in a minute and he knows it."

South Fork (15-22) is now only 1.5 games behind Hartsdale (16-20) in the battle for last place. Tomorrow's twinbill should be quite a battle in more ways than one.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-28-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote