View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
Ok, I am fairly new to the game... at any rate, I started up a league starting 2019 with the Atlanta Braves. In 2021 season, my GM listed as a goal getting an extension for Freddie Freeman. So I tried negotiating extension for him. However, he was demanding $48 million per year for eight years, which seemed outrageous and was far more than any other player in the entire major leagues was getting. I countered with 38 million for 5 years, which he laughed at. I finally went up to 40 million for 5 years (which was all the money I had available for extensions), at which point, he broke off negotiations he was so offended. I tried several more times during season to negotiate it, with no more success. So after the season, as soon as he became a free agent, I tried again, but he was still making the same demand. Two weeks after he became a free agent, I saw he had signed with another team... his contract? 28 million per year for five years.

What did I do wrong? Am I just completely misunderstanding how contract negotiations should work?
Nope, OOTP in a nutshell. Players will almost always demand outrageous numbers from the teams that they play on when approaching FA then sign for less.