View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 03:08 AM   #4
monochameleon
Minors (Double A)

6th June 1985

NEW YORK, NY: The Premier League of Hockey has confirmed that their complete new set of awards will be headed by the Cameron Phillips Memorial Trophy, to be awarded to the team that wins the playoff between the Mountain League and the Atlantic League.

Cameron Phillips, owner of the Ottawa Nationals since 1975 having inherited the team from his father James, was a fierce campaigner for the inter-league merger, and celebrated loudly on New Years Day this year when he was at the merger signing.

Sadly, he would not live to see play in the merged league he worked so hard for, as he passed away of a heart attack on February 9th this year. He was 51. The new trophy will be named in his honor.

The other new team trophy will be the Premier's Cup, to be given to the regular season champions.

Trophies:
Phillips Memorial Trophy - League champions
Harris Shield - Mountain League Playoff Champions
St. Lawrence Trophy - Atlantic League Playoff Champions
Premier's Cup - Regular season champions

James Pierce Trophy - League MVP
Austin Couture Award - Playoff MVP
Kenneth Jensen Trophy - Best Goalie, as voted by the league
Mathieu Lorenc Award - Most Goals in a Season
Jakob Hjerpe Trophy - Most Points in a Season
Quinn MacMurray Award - Defenceman of the Year
Bob Fischer Award - Defensive Forward of the Year Award
James Burgess Award - Coach of the Year
Maurice Johnstone Memorial Award - Rookie of the Year
John Rowe Award - Goals Against Award
Matthew Wade Award - Save Percentage Award
Luke Montogomery Award - Plus/minus award

[OUT OF UNIVERSE NOTE: So I played the full histories of both the Mountain League and the Atlantic League and named the Awards after the notable players from both. I had wanted to break down detailed stats for the teams coming into the merger - but the game crashed and wiped the Atlantic League stats, so all I've got is the champions and finalists for each season. Next few posts will cover pre-season and then we'll get into the regular season. I hope someone - anyone - is enjoying this. I wanted to do some writing and this seemed like a fun way to try something new and different.]
monochameleon is offline   Reply With Quote