View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #83
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

For those who may consider trying stat's only, just keep in mind that the realism factor can easily be minimized if the creation of the league is not executed properly. Here are a few tips I have for those that might be intrigued by the idea.

#1: It's nearly impossible to evaluate speed, and defense can be a very difficult to determine as well. I would suggest having ratings displayed for speed and defense, though only a ten-point scale. Keep in mind that defensive ratings will still be subjective if you have scouts. Speed is an easily measurable tool with little variation, so there's no need to hide that rating.

#2: Don't turn scouts off. The moment scouts are turned off, the OSA scouting reports will immediately become 100% correct. Though granted, there is still some level of doubt given that ratings are on a 1-250 scale, and the written scouting reports are generated (from my understanding) on a 1-10 scale. Furthermore, these written reports do not take into account lefty/righty shifts in performance, gap, or other such values that ratings do. They're accurate but not overly so. Nevertheless, turn scouts on.

#3: Once scouts are turned on, I would suggest setting the scouting to either 'low' or for even more emphasis on stats, 'very low'. I've found very low to be the most realistic in my leagues. Low tends to me too accurate, and as a stats only player, that's what we're trying to avoid. You want maximum emphasis on stats and a minimal amount on written reports, as a real GM has to his disposal.

#4: ONLY FOR ONLINE LEAGUES -- Make sure everyone's scout has the same ability and give them 100 year contracts to avoid unfairness between teams, and certain teams having an advantage based on their scouts ability.

#5: Finally, feeders are a must for stats only leagues. Furthermore, the more games the better. A typical High School season is 20 games, though you will have no clue whatsoever what a players ability is after 20 games. I would suggest 80 or so games both for the college feeder and the high school one.

Just a few things I learned...

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-02-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote