View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #22
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

So (just in case this is of interest to anyone other than me), I have for the moment settled on an approach that involves randomness but is not completely hands off.
What I have done (or am working on) is a process involving the following steps, which has allowed me the fun of creating some charts and incorporating the beloved 20-sided die plus the use of online random name and number generators:
Step 1: Identification of which current players will have relatives created in this universe. For now I will use a random process to identify two current players per season who will have a relative in the W.P. Kinsella League universe.
Step 2: Identify what type of relative is to be created. Since I am randomly identifying whether the relative will be a contemporary (brother, cousin) or next generation relative (son, nephew, son-in-law) or even two generations in the future (grandson) this does not mean that two new players will be created each year but just that they will be identified, often for future creation. As the league progresses I will watch how this works and might alter Step 1 to have fewer new players identified if necessary.
Step 3: Identify age of created relative at Step 1- this will often be a negative number indicating that a relative will be created in 5 years or 15 years, etc.
Step 4: Identify month and day of birth using charts I created.
Step 5: Identify primary position of player to be created (die roll, charts.)
Step 6: Identify the type of player to be created (Player Type Chart-more about this below!)
Step 7: Based upon Step 6 above, use random number generator to identify player template used for player creation (again, more below.)

When I refer to type of player I am perhaps even referring to archetypes. I created a list of pitcher player types and position player types and from these will then be creating a number of ratings/personality type/etc. templates to choose from for each created player. For pitchers my player types (at this point) are 1- Flame Thrower 1 (control struggles) 2- Flame Thrower 2 (hard but straight FB) 3- Control Artist 1 (junkball pitcher) 4- Control Artist 2 (corner painter) 5-Deceptive and consistent (side-armer/submariner) 6- Deceptive and inconsistent (knuckleballer, primarily) 7-Lifer (mediocre to poor talent, future pitching coach/manager) 8-Workhorse 9-Steady Eddie 10- Super-Star! Some of these are probably pretty self-explanatory. Basically #1 will have great velocity but be very wild, #2 will have great velocity but very poor movement, #3 will throw decent off-speed stuff but very mediocre velocity, #4 will throw okay fastball with not great velocity but with very good control and probably decent movement, #5 and #6 are more about arm angle and pitch type, #7 is intelligent leader with low ability who will perhaps one day be coach and/or manager, #8 is average to below average starter who can eat innings, #9 is average to below average reliever who is durable and has stable personality, #10 is, well, obviously, the guy who could become a great to HOF type player.

For position players I am creating the following types: 1-Speedster 2-Defensive whiz 3-slugger (1-tool mostly) 4-Utility man 5-Mr. Steady 6-Scrapper 7-Lifer 8-Walking Man 9-Super-Star! Again, mostly self-evident. First guy has good to great speed, base-stealing and base-running ability and not a lot else. #2 is very good to great defensively at at least one position, #3 is great power hitter but has big weaknesses elsewhere, #4 is stable, multi-positional player with decent defense and not entirely atrocious bat who could fill a role, #5 is potentially average major league player, #6 is firebrand (think Billy Martin), #7 is probably below-average to poor player with high leadership, high work ethic, high intelligence and has good chance to be future coach and/or manager, #8 has a great eye and good to great avoid K but not a whole lot more, #9 is well, you know.

A note about the Super-Star category: this will require a roll of 20 on the 20-sided die but even then this guy actually developing into a true superstar should be rare as I will be building the templates for this type with most of them having some potentially serious flaws that could and probably will restrict their development. None of the other categories should have much chance of having significant major league careers other than possibly some of the Mr. Steady position players or Workhorse and Steady Eddie pitchers.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 04-22-2018 at 01:48 PM.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote