View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #95
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Well, getting back into the swing of Zech's replay here. Starting with this opponent, we'll start seeing a few interesting HW's that you might like to add to your data base.

Gerhard Zech's 14th fight.... 1961-06-16, Hamburg Germany

Alain Cherville-2 Overall Rating
Nationality- Belgium
b. 1931-08-11
d.
Career, 1954-62
BoxRec. 012483
Record 23 wins / 26 losses / 2 draws / 8 KO
Cherville's first two years were spent compiling an 11-2 record against the likes of 1 rated fighters in the game whom I think you'll see him beat a fairly consitant 70+% of the time as he's rated. Then in late 1955 and into 1956 he lost first to Dick Richardson, KO'd in the 2nd and then was beaten twice by and up coming German HW, Hans Kalbeff. In 1956 he defeated Robert Eugene for the Belgium HW Title. He defended it later in 1956 against a Marcel Limage.

Over the next 6 years, Cherville fought guys who'd looked to be in the 2 to 5 range of rated fighters in the game. He managed wins over LHW Gerhard Hecht and HW Werner Wiegand of Germany. He managed a 10 round decision over Jimmy Slade in Vienna, Austria. He lost more then he won though. Loosing to Archie Moore who was on the backside of his career, Mino Bozzano, Ulli Ritter, Franco Cavicchi, Albert Westphal, Franco DePiccoli and twice to Karl Mildenberger to name a few. His career ended with consectutive losses to a Bonino Allevi, DePiccoli, Gerhard Zech, Jose Peyre, Bozzano, Sante Amonti and lastly to Wim Snoek in Dec. 1962. Seven years later, Cherville tried a 1 fight comeback getting KO'd in the 3rd by a guy making his debute in the ring.

Control vs Boxer--6
Control vs Slugger--7
Hitting power--3
Chin vs knockdown--4
Chin vs knockout--3
Recovery--2
Cuts--2
Absorb punishment--2
Killer instinct--4
Aggressiveness--7
Endurance--7
Defense--2
Fast starter--3
Fight on ropes--2

Draw power--4
Conditioning--2
Intellect--4
Proficiency--10

Fight inside--2
Outside--2
Cover up--2
Go for KO--1
Clinching--70

Style--Slugger
Fouls--Occasionally

Punches 2-pt. 3-pt.
Jabs 18.00 1.50
Hooks 24.50 2.50
Crosses 15.25 1.75
Combinations 15.00 3.25
Uppercuts 18.25 0.00

Punching--36
Counterpunching--34
Missed--63

Zech again is still in his Pre-Prime stage. I set Cherville at Post-Prime. In real life, Zech dispatched with Cherville in quick fashion with a 2nd round TKO. I scheduled this replay for 10 rounds. It was a action packed fight. First couple rounds were pretty even. Then in the 3rd round, Cherville shocked the Hamburg crowd putting Zech down for an 8 count! Then to everyone's amazement, Cherville did it again in the 4th, decking Zech this time for a 6 count. Zech came back and regrouped himself in the 5th and took control of the fight from there. He sent Cherville to the canvas twice each in the 5th and 7th rounds and then after beating on him some more in the 8th, the fight was ended in the 9th at 0:46 handing Zech the TKO victory and his 14 win without defeat.

Next fight up, Ulli Ritter another German who had a decent record in the late 50's to mid 60's with some interesting opponents that I think make him a good new HW to look at. Fights in Cologne, Germany on Sept. 10th, 1961. I'll be there, hope you will be also!
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote