View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #17
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Exiles
March 1920

Had they arrived in America at Ellis Island, the young widow and her four small children would have hardly stood out from the rest of the ‘teaming masses’ yearning for a new life. Worn down after years of exile, war and death, Queen Lydia now looked upon America as a sorely needed haven.

Fleeing to Great Britain in 1908 with her husband Prince Henry, the couple managed to escape the civil strife that quickly engulfed their homeland. Initially, they looked upon their exile merely as a temporary retreat. But as the Republicans became more and more entrenched, the couple realized it would be years, if at all, before they could return. Upon the news that his elder brother, Malcolm, was murdered in the coup, Prince Henry was crowned in a simple ceremony at Buckingham Palace as King Henry I. But he was now a ruler without a country to rule.

As honoured guests of the British Crown, the King and Queen settled into a quiet, private existence. While Henry eagerly took up the Admiralty’s offer to serve in the British Navy, Lydia focused her attention on their home life, one that would see no less than five children bless their union in quick succession. The eldest child, Prince William, was born in 1915 in the midst of the Great War. Rebecca, Edward, James and Mitchell would soon follow.

But adversity would find them in England as well. While the Great War would inflict colossal destruction upon the European continent, Great Britain would not be spared either. The nightly raids of the German zeppelins and warplanes, as well as the increasing severity of food rationing became rigeur du jour for the populace. King Henry, confined by the Admiralty to land duty out of fear for his safety, succumbed to the Spanish Influenza in late 1919. Queen Lydia, heavy with child, departed England with her children and sailed to New York City for a new life in the spring of 1920.

Life in America

For the Queen, life in America was a radical departure from the settled existence she had known in England, and one she never quite accepted. But with the Resistance coordinated out of the United States and Braeland’s government-in-exile based in New York in particular, Prime Minister Mundhenke advised Her Majesty that it would be best for her and her family to locate there. In contrast, young William seemed to thrive in the bustle that was New York City in the 1920s, embracing many of the customs of his adopted new home in true Braelander fashion. But while there was much to do and explore in his new surroundings, the custom he embraced most eagerly was the uniquely American sport of baseball. In the days immediately following their arrival, before their lives were more closely regimented, William and his younger brother Edward picked up the game in surrounding sandlots and parks with neighbourhood children who were oblivious to their background. The kids with the ‘funny accents’ soon proved their salt however, in the rough and tumble version of the game common at the time. William and Edward wore their scrapes and bruises back home as a badge of honour. Needless to say, the Queen Mother was horrified. Upon learning of their origin, she moved quickly to put an end to such “shenanigans”.

“Where’s Alex?” she bellowed to Nora her attendant, momentarily drowning out the cries of her two boys. “Tell him to come here at once!”

Serving as Private Secretary to the Sovereign since their arrival to America, Alexander Louden was no stranger to the Queen’s excitable nature and seemingly harsh demeanor. Recognizing the importance of establishing a measure of stability in the transplanted Royal Household, Louden took it upon himself to act as a buffer between the Queen and her employees, as a sort of Master of the Household. “No need for the rest of the place to be in a tizzy”, he said at the time.

“She’s in a terrible tizzy!” exclaimed Nora upon finding him in the makeshift mail room. “She’s tearing a strip off the boys right now. Came home all battered and bruised, they did. Heaven knows what they’ve been up to. She wants to see you straight away.”

“Thank you, Nora”, replied Louden in his typical cheerful manner. He had a pretty good idea what they’ve been up to since it was he who allowed them to play with the other children in the first place. He hadn’t anticipated, however, just how rough their playing would get. As he entered the main hall from the servants’ wing, he could hear the wailing of the boys, no doubt distraught over be denied the opportunity to play with the other children again.

“This should be interesting”, he whispered to Nora as they paused momentarily at the foot of the expansive spiral staircase that ascended to the Royal Family’s living quarters.

Upon reaching the top, Louden found himself ambushed by William and Edward, who began pulling at his sleeves and imploring for his intercession.

“Please don’t let her do this! We won’t get into any trouble! We’ll be good, we promise!” cried the boys, now practically on their knees and seemingly pulling Louden down with them. It was then that he noticed the bruise on William’s left cheek as well as the rips in both their trousers.

“Now boys”, Louden replied in a calm but firm voice, “Do as you are told and retire to your rooms. I will speak to your Mother.” The placing his hands on their shoulders and the reassurance in his voice seemed to calm the boys down. Louden then gently touched William’s chin to get a better look at his injury.

“How do you get that?” he inquired.

“I – I fell sir,” replied William, not too convincingly.

“Hm-mmm; I suppose that’s how you ripped your drawers as well? Alright, get cleaned up. Nora will tend to you and take care of that nasty gash. Off you go”, sighed Louden as he proceeded to the inevitable maelstrom.

In fact, he was reminded of a blast furnace as soon as he entered the room. He didn’t even have a chance to open his mouth before the Queen started into him.

“What’s this I hear of my children running about the streets of New York with strangers and who knows what mischief they’re getting into? And what’s this game of ‘ball’, anyway? I didn’t bring them 3,000 miles from England just for them to fall in among a bunch of ruffians!”

“I assure you, Your Majesty, I know nothing of these unauthorized excursions.” Actually, he did and even supervised their activities beyond their lower Harlem compound.

“But they are in your charge, Alex; you are supposed to protect them.” It wasn't and the Queen knew that.

Louden acquiesced. “Yes Ma’am. It will not happen again.” He had bowed when saying this, but upon rising, he could tell that now there was not so much anger in her eyes as there was fear. It was then that Louden realized that she was unsteady on her feet; she was supporting herself with the back of her wing-back chair.

Sensing his gaze, she quickly turned away. “Be off with you, Alex. We are done here.” She moved deliberately towards the window seat and slowly lowered herself. Louden realized it was more of an excuse not to look at him than anything of interest outside.

None of the servants really took into consideration all that the young widowed Queen had been through. Most of them joined the Royal House while in England or in America. The Queen had lost her country, lost her husband and now she was in fear of losing her children. It was only understandable that she would be so upset.

Louden hesitated. Finally he attempted to search for some words that would sooth her. “Forgive Ma’am for continuing to speak, but I just want you to know that I will personally see to it that the children’s activities are well supervised from now on. You will not need to fear for their safety. I give you my word.”

“That will do”, she replied in a voice struggling to remain composed and authoritative. The Queen maintained her back to him. But as Louden bowed and turned to leave, the Queen concluded in a much softer tone. “Thank you.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Louden wasn’t entirely sure how the children would respond to having their baseball activities restricted to the inner courtyard of the Royal Residence, expansive though it was. But William and Edward jumped at the chance to create their own baseball diamond. Their indefatigable spirit quickly rubbed off onto the servants as well, as they began to take part not only in its construction, but also playing the game with the children. Though James and Mitchell were still too young to have a meaningful share, William, Edward and Rebecca quickly became quite adept at the sport. When jealousy threatened to tear the ‘team’ apart after Rebecca became the first to develop a curve ball, Louden placated the kids by providing them with their own baseball uniforms, complete with stirrups and ‘BRAELAND’ emblazoned across their jerseys.

Louden wasn’t sure what the Queen’s reaction to the new arrangement would be either. Since his ‘dressing down’ a few weeks earlier, the Queen had withdrawn even further from the world outside her rooms and whispers began to circulate among the servants that she was in the throes of melancholy. But a fleeting moment changed all that.

Serving as umpire one warm summer afternoon, Louden watched as William finally figured out Rebecca’s bender and smashed one into shallow left field, bringing in a runner. Removing his mask to view the play, Louden looked up and caught sight of a woman also viewing the proceedings from her 3rd story window seat, smiling and clapping softly. The Queen, upon being spotted, immediately retreated from view. But for Louden, it was all he needed. He knew he was ‘safe’.
Excerpt taken from the forthcoming book At The Wall: How Baseball Saved A Nation, by Paul Shirley, senior sports editor of the Brunswick Courier. Reprinted with permission.