View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 12:55 AM   #19
BeanSobie
Minors (Triple A)

Wesley Metheny

I ended up spending a month with Everett. They never really settled on a position for me as the injury bug would move from player to player. A blessing in disguise maybe as I got to prove that I could be trusted in almost any position. I had a few errors in shortstop, but I don’t think they were glaring. Jose Moreno, a manager who has been coaching pro baseball since before Zac Livingston was in kindergarden, assured me that it looks a whole lot better to be learning shortstop and making mistakes in Low-A than in AAA.

Moreno was not a beloved manager, but he was a very respected one. After a 0 for 5 appearance he called me to his office and before saying a word reached out his hand to shake mine. “Wesley, the first thing I want to do is thank you for your efforts while playing with us here in Everett.”

“Thank you sir.”

“You know why I’ve called you here, right?” In the last week I hit 1 double and 3 singles over 31 at-bats. I had a pretty good idea what was coming. I meant to answer, but I guess I took too long. “A baseball organization has a lot of moving parts. Cam Duzenack is coming back off the DL, and Tanner Nishioka is set to come back in a few days. We’re healthy for the first time in a month so we need to send someone down to Zona.”

“I understand sir.”

“This is a numbers move Wes. If you asked me you have nothing left to prove in rookie ball. You’ve only got a handful of games left down there. I don’t think either of us should be surprised to be seeing each other before the end of the summer.”

I thanked him before going to clear out my locker. When I grabbed my phone I saw a group of texts from my friends back in Arizona, and one from Zac Livingston.

"Be prepared to lead off tomorrow."