View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Trade question: Why is this player available?

I am in late July of the 2021 season with my St. Louis River Walkers franchise of the Midwest Baseball League.
Our position isn't bad. We're 52-49 and 4.5 games out of first place.
But we've seemingly treaded water most of the season -- bouncing between 2-5 games out -- and can't seem to get any traction.
Looking ahead, 28-year-old outfielder Michael Conforto (four star/four star) is coming up on free agency.

In negotiations, he is asking for nine seasons at $25 million.
Comparing him to similar players, I am looking at $19M for four.
I have a three-star outfielder in AAA, who I'd like to get a look at.
Also a BIG factor, the free agent market for next season is bleak in terms of starting pitching and I needed to add a No. 1 or 2.
Springfield, which is in second place in my division 2.5 games out of first, is willing to trade their No. 1 starter 32-year-old James Paxton (four stars/four stars) for Conforto and a mid-level prospect.
Paxton also comes with a contract for the 2022 season, which would give me that top-line starter I need moving forward.
Question 1, why would Springfield be looking to unload its No. 1 starter -- and it doesn't seem to have a top starter in the minors to take his place -- when it is in the thick of the pennant race?
Question 2, Do I make that deal? Lose Conforto while I am still in the pennant race myself, but get that top-line starter I am looking for and get a chance to look at my AAA guy for two months.
I also could try to re-sign Conforto in the offseason if the market bears out.
I am leaning toward making the deal. It is July 28, so I have three days to pull the trigger.
I will probably being playing games around midnight tonight and any advice would be appreciated.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote