Old 03-25-2019, 06:44 AM   #15
so49as
Major Leagues

Game 24
9 – Baltimore
2 – Royals

WP – Mike Boddicker (3-2)
LP – Danny Jackson (0-2)

It's a relief watching Saberhagen strike out Ripken with the bases loaded. But fielding and bullpen inconsistencies struck with 2 bad innings. With the score tied at 1, Danny Jackson pitched the 8th. He'd pitched well last time, but was tagged with doubles by Mike Young and Floyd Rayford to plate 3. I added a run in the bottom of the frame, so with the game close, 4-2, I brought Quisenberry in to keep it close. But a George Brett error led to 5 unearned runs, capped off with a 3-run homer by Fred Lynn.

Game 25
6 – Baltimore
2 – Royals

WP – Dave Righetti (1-0)
LP – Dan Quisenberry (1-1)

The only Royal highlight was a George Brett solo home run. Orta and McRae tried to bring us back in the 9th, but we couldn't muster much more than a run.

-
Made my first trade and it's a reunion of sorts. Dane Iorg was 1-15, including 0-11 as a pinch hitter. So I shipped him up to Seattle for Al Cowens, a fixture in right field for Whitey Herzog's playoff teams of the late 70s.

He'll start on the bench, getting corner outfield starts a few times a week. But he brings a leadership presence to the club that was sorely lacking.

I'll be looking to a add a bullpen piece this coming week as well.

-
My record 8-17; 7th; 7 games behind Texas
Real Life: 12-13; 4th; 3.5 games behind California
so49as is offline   Reply With Quote