Thread: New features!
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #51
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I know the new CBA is complex but how much if any is in v20? If FA isn't being updated to at least have a hybrid of the new rules can we at least revisit v19's FA and qualifying offers?

There was an important discussion about FA and qualifying offers last year in this thread, with bigd51 providing data, http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...+offers&page=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51 View Post
I've seen Harper sign a cheap, short deal in one of my leagues too. He signed a 3-year deal w/ San Francisco w/ an average salary of $19m...

Just a shot in the dark, but I wonder if Qualifying Offers play a part in this.

1. The QO system doesn't seem to reflect real life. IRL:
A. The amount is the mean salary of MLB's 125 highest-paid players, yet, in the game, the dollar amount of a QO is always $15m. I don't recall ever seeing it change to reflect the mean.

B. For a player to receive a QO, he must never have received one previously in his career, yet, in the game, that's not the case. I once offered a player of mine a QO, he accepted it at $15m, but the following offseason, I was given the option to offer him another one. I didn't because I knew he'd likely accept it again, but didn't want to pay him $15m for another year.
2. Considering the QO amount is always a static $15m, it's just too easy for clubs to get compensation for impending FA's, which leaves me speculating if players aren't being signed quicker because a comp is attached to too many of them and teams aren't willing to give up draft picks for them, even for 1 year deals:
A. High quality RP's like Britton, Chapman, Kimbrel, etc. will always have a comp attached because their demands usually exceed the $15m QO. If he's still pretty young, he'll reject it even if his demand is less (i.e. Mark Melancon's 33 w/ a $12m demand and he rejected a QO)

B. Adrian Beltre is currently a FA in my league. He's 39 and demanding $16m a year, but has a comp attached, meaning he obviously rejected the $15m QO from Texas. The way it stands in the game, from what I've seen, any player w/ a contract demand over $15m will almost assuredly reject a QO. Would a 39 year old reject a 1 year, $15m deal IRL? Highly doubtful. So why would I, even as the Braves who need a 3B and a $40m offseason budget, give up a draft pick for a 39 year old?

C. It's the first day of '18 free agency in my league and there are 20 players w/ a comp attached. IRL, only 9 players were offered QO's in November. The year before, 10 were offered QO's and 2 accepted, meaning only 8 hit the market with comps attached.
If all of this is factored into the in-game free agency process, then it's no wonder why there are so many weird FA contracts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
This is the problem. Thanks for doing the research on the exact number of QO as I wasn't aware of them.

I was hoping for the new CBA rules for v19 but it didn't happen, at least not yet. If the new rules can't be done in a patch then it seems an AI adjustment certainly could for both teams and players along with a flag to limit offers to one?

Of course easy for a non-coder to ask for things without having to consider unintended effects. But maybe the one time flag for offers alone could do a lot and avoid "knock on effects" of trying to tinker too much with the AI of both players and teams?
So barring the new CBA being added are we, or can we at least get a flag to limit QO to one time per player?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote