View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #78
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

June 4th, 1985

The Expos are sending up Bryn Smith (5-4, 3.81). We are answering with Atlee Hammaker (4-4, 2.30)

Good match-up.

I was unhappy with Nestor pinch hitting for me yesterday. Time to prove he was wrong.

I started things off well defensively, snagging a Dave Concepcion liner for the first out.

In the bottom of the 1st, I buckled down and hit a ball to deep centre. It went to the fence and I legged out a double. Kenny Oberkfell grounded out but I moved up to 3rd. After Chili popped out, Rob Deer doubled and I crossed.

Giants up 1-0!

It didn't stop there. In the 2nd John Castino knocked Jeff Leonard in from 2nd. I came up with one out and Tom O'Malley on 3rd and Castino on 2nd. I hit what looked like a sac fly but Dale Murphy made a beautiful throw to get O'Malley going home.

Giants up 2-0.

And STILL it didn't stop. In the 3rd Chili Davis was singled home by Jeff Leonard.

Giants up 3-0!

In the top of the 4th Concepcion hit it to me again Ground out.

I came up in the bottom half with one out and nobody on. I singled to centre. With Kenny O up I stole my 38th AND 39th bases. Kenny grounded out and I crossed for the 2nd time.

4-0 Giants!

The Expos got on the board int he 5th, pushing one across before I got the 2nd out, nailing Mickey Hatcher at 2nd on a Razor Shines fielder's choice.

Giants lead 4-1

I also got the 2nd out in the 6th, handling a Pat Tabler grounder.

I lead off the bottom half by striking out against Smith.

In the 7th Tim Wallach led off with a solo homer.

Giants still lead 4-2

In the 8th Atlee had reached his limit so Nestor brought in Ron Davis (and Brian Harper for Jeff Leonard in a double switch.) Ron let his inherited runner score.

Giants up 4-3. It is getting awfully close...

I came up with one out and nobody on, now facing Vern Ruhle. I grounded out to Tim Flannery at 2nd but he booted it. I reached on an error. I then, of course, took full advantage and grabbed stolen base #40. I moved to 3rd on a Kenny O ground out, but Chili flied out and I was left there.

Gary Matthews led off the 9th as a pinch hitter and ground out to me. One down. Mickey Hatcher then hit a line drive... to me. Two down. Ron Davis nicked Razor Shines so he went to 1st. Then the same happened to Flannery. (Iffy call. He leaned into it.) Ron struck out Davey Concepcion to end it.

We won 4-3.

(And I got two hits, scored twice and stole 3 bases.)

25-24

Fran Mullins was recalled after the game with John Rabb going back down.
Terry Harper was assigned to AAA, Phoenix.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote