View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #251
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

This is late for an OOTP14 impression, but after putting in the time I have to say that OOTP14 is my favorite all time version, and I've been playing this game since OOTP3/Season Ticket Baseball. In OOTP14 I've played multiple leagues, re-configured leagues, added and removed teams, and I've had no problems with crashes or corruption like I have in the past.

Because this version is so stable, I've been able to really notice things that I probably missed in earlier versions. I especially like the work that has been done with pitchers, and the way pitchers develop. I know that taking a shot on an erratic prospect with nothing but good stuff and the right build might well be worth it, and that finesse pitchers will have low ceilings like IRL. I go through the draft class looking at pitchers, "Hmm... this guy doesn't quite throw hard enough for me... this guy could use some work on his changeup but he's OK... this other guy is a headcase or too short", and the thought process I am using, at least as I imagine it, probably isn't all that different than one that a real GM would use when evaluating pitchers.

I've also found a difficulty level that keeps it basic for the AI and balances the game for me without house rules: Potential ratings off, reserve clause rules, no waivers, no rule 5 draft, and trading on hard. I look at little things now, and I didn't need to in the past when I could just mop the floor with the AI.

I'd like to see more player interaction, where you can talk to a player to tell him to sort his stuff out, get more of an attachment to players in general, and otherwise improve their morale, but other than that I feel pretty good. A basic graphics engine would be nice, and completing the spoken play by play would make things interesting, too.

It looks like the Puresim franchise has waved the white flag. I bought the latest BB Mogul and what they're doing at this point is almost fraud IMO. Even FM has gotten bogged down with too much minutia, and their 'Steam or get stuffed' copy protection approach angered a lot of people including me. So it looks like OOTP might be heading into a golden age relative to the other sports management sims. It's too late to bother getting 15, but I'll probably get 16 based on my good experience with 14 and pay closer attention to the franchise too.

tl;dr - I like this.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote