View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #34
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

McGovern

Yeah, in my Uni (a historical one) McGovern definitely underperformed versus RL. His first 30 bouts as BW, he went 22-8, losing all four World title shots versus Jimmy Barry (who, after all, did go undefeated IRL) but also losing to Harry Harris. When I moved him up to FW he did a bit better, eventually capturing a World title belt after losses to Attell, Harry Lyons and Aurelio Herrera (Herrera may have been a cuts stoppage, Lyons was a surprising KO 3 loss). It wasn't until 1906 in my Uni (several years after his RL success) when he TKO'd Jem Driscoll for the FW World title belt, following with wins over Young Griffo, Brooklyn Tommy Sullivan, Tommy Love and George Dixon before losing to Attell again. After that he hit Post-Prime in 1908 and was no longer a serious title threat. His career mark was 37-20-1 (33 KOs), with eight of the losses at Post and End career stage.

Incidentally, the first time I recall hearing about McGovern was some old book of "Ripley's Believe It or Not" as a kid, where he was reputed to be the first boxer to hold three different World titles at once. Of course, based on what I have read since, that honor goes to Hammerin' Hank Armstrong, not McGovern.

Anyway, an all-time great, definite HoF caliber fighter, no matter how you look at it.
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote