View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
How important are the ratings (Pitcher overall, Stuff, Movement, Control, each pitch type and Stamina)?
I do not look very much at the specific ratings. I look at the overall quality of the ratings. A low stuff players is going to get less Ks and more balls will be in play. This can lead to more baserunners which is never good. IIRC a low movement players will give up more hits in the air. This usually leads to more HRs. A low control player will give up more BBs. Each rating has pros and cons, if you are looking at a player with low (I consider low 40 or under on a 1-100 scale depending on the ratings of my other options) you are picking your poison.

Quote:
Starting Pitchers
AFAIK you want your best players to start (with Stuff, Movement, and Control being high). They should have decent Stamina (50+ ?) and a good plethora of high-rated pitches.
3 pitches and a stamina over 25 on a 1-100 scale. I have started players with 2 pitches and a high stamina. The results have been mixed. Some have done well, some useless (8.00+ ERA) and some did well for a season or two and then they got shelled.
On a scale of 1-100 a 25? maybe 30 is the "minimum" to start. A stamina of 25+ should get you 100 pitches. If I have a starter with a stamina that low I keep a close eye on them and check their box scores to see if they are consistently giving up runners and runs as their pitch count gets above the 80-90 range. You can also play it safe and set their pitch count in their "Player Strategy" screen.

Quote:
What value is most important (ST, MOV, CON)?
What pitches or combination of pitches are most important for a SP?
Does he need to have four different ones, or are three or even two enough?
3 pitches is what you are looking for, you can get away with two sometimes.

Quote:
Middle Relievers
These would be the same as SP (ideally), but with less Stamina, or diminished Ratings (compared to the SPs)
Stamina under 25 and/or 2 pitches.

Quote:
Closer
Somebody who can make sure in the decisive 9th inning that you get a 0 for the opponent. He'd need great Control, good Stuff and a fast Fastball. Does he?
This is a whole debate about the overinflated value of closers and the Save stat.
Without dragging you into that fiasco... Yes. You want an excellent closer. Once you learn more about baseball and the idea of High Leverage Situations then you may change your mind. In the interest of fun and keeping it light I will stick with Yes.

Quote:
Changing Roles
Imagine I have a high-Stamina pitcher with three decent pitches that is tagged as a CL. Under what circumstances should I redesignate him as a SP or MR? Are there any hard and quick rules?
Depending on your current SPs, I would replace your worst rated/performing SP with him and see how it goes. It is worth a shot.

Quote:
Assigning your pitching line-up
In the end, how do I decide the pitching line-up (sure, I can let the manager do it, but I want to KNOW ;-))? Especially the multiple MR positions confuse me a bit...
Other people have posted really good ideas on this. If I contradict them go with the one that makes the most sense to you. I am trying to keep in mind that you are also learning baseball along with the game.
I always set my SPs 1st. They are far more important than the bullpen. A healthy Sp will pitch 200+ innings per season. Some will be closer to 250. A top not MR or Setup pitcher, with good stamina will pitch 75?, 95?, 110?, maybe 125ish innings per season. A 5 Star Ace is worth far more than a 5 Star Reliever. I then place my best reliever at closer. Others will argue this choice with valid reasons. I am not convinced that the game uses my #1 MR or my #1 Setup man in High Leverage situations consistently enough for me to change this approach. I place my 2nd best reliever in the #1 MR spot. In my experience this spot gets the most reliever innings. My 3rd rated reliver in the setup role and then #4 MR-> #5 Setup-> #6 MR-> #7 MR. I keep 12 pitchers. Some players will keep 11 or 13, that changes the approach a little.

Quote:
It'd be very helpful for somebody much more knowledgeable than me to explain how this all works. Thank you!
These are just my opinions, I read a few posts above that contrdict some of what I do. I do not think any of them have flawed logic, just a different approach.