View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Isryion
Major Leagues

I'd add GB% to your list but that can be a function of other things.

1. I find that movement and control are more key for starters, though good stuff can help, it's not enough by itself, IMO. More pitches than three can be looked at as a bonus if they are decent. Take a look at splits, too, as drastic splits can mean trouble for a stater.

2. Because I'm often looking for K's from relievers, I go somewhat the opposite route with them and prioritize stuff. This isn't to say that relievers can't succeed without stuff, but they need the other two without it. Don't discount stamina as it means a reliever can pitch more often and the pen as a whole won't be as tired.
It's usually that they are relievers because they have less than three pitches.

3. Closer is about your philosophy in the role. Usually it's my second or third best pitcher with stuff as a priority but usually above average ratings in everything. A lot of GMs make it their top reliever, but I'll explain more in the last question. Again, stamina is even more important here as you want him out there as many games as possible in a row.

4. No. Just give it a shot and see what happens.

5. I tend to put my best reliever as the #1 setup because he gets the most innings, and the most high-leverage innings. The second most tend to go to the #1 reliever with the closer getting not as many innings but often important ones. So my second best goes in the one reliever and the third best the closer. The #2 reliever tends to get a lot of innings, too, but the #3 and #4 not as much, especially if your pen is good. So I rank whatever I have left in best to worst.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Isryion; 08-16-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Isryion is offline   Reply With Quote