Thread: Strangeverse
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #498
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Draft

Top-heavy – that’s how I’d describe the 2079 draft. Normally, that would be a bad thing for me…. I rarely got a top 10 pick during my tenure in LA. This year was different as Orland City was bad enough in 2078 to secure my Miami United club the 3rd pick. And, while we won’t end up with the crown jewel of the draft, we should, if Cheech does his job, end up with something of real value.

The Top 5:

Round 1, Pick 1 – San Diego Chargers: CF Mortecai Flenderson, 21 (San Diego State)
A rangy outfielder with a cannon for an arm, Flenderson projects to be a perennial all-star with world-class base running skills. He should develop good gap power, discipline, and an above-average ability to avoid K’s while also developing tip-top contact and power. Mortecai is as highly touted a prospect as Bulldog Johnson and Boogie Barnett were last year, with the key difference being that the baseball pundits, rival scouts, and fans haven’t found any sign of weakness to pick on prior to the draft… so far, Mortecai is bullet-proof, seen as a can’t-miss prospect who will one day usurp the designation of the best player in the game and, over the course of his career, wreak havoc on the record books.

Round 1, Pick 2 – Dallas Cowboys: SP Jed Fisher, 21 (Vanderbilt)
A power pitcher with good stuff & control… movement will need refinement, but with 5 pitches at his disposal and a keen understanding of how to mix them in, Fisher looks to be the type of high-K guy that will blow the roof off the building with his gas. Great stamina, a keen ability to hold runners, and a Forkball/Fastball combo that gives opposing batters fits. In his last start as a collegiate pitcher, Jed recorded 18 K’s in a complete game, 4-1 win over OSU.

Name:  player_45969.png
Views: 118
Size:  18.1 KB
Round 1, Pick 3 – Miami United: SP Santino Andrade, 21 (Minnesota)
With great movement and great stuff, Andrade is a 4-pitch, groundballer with world-class stamina, a devastating slider, and tip-top work ethic. He was eligible for the draft last season but failed to sign with the San Francisco Seals and instead went back to his native Venezuela to refine his technique. He has a lot of potential stacked neatly into all of the categories required to be great – however, it’ll take some time for him to develop into a top of the rotation type that you can depend on in the Majors. This pick, while not without its risks, could, eventually, pay some huge dividends for us.

Round 1, Pick 4 – Dallas Cowboys: 3B Mahmoud Fakhfakh, 22 (Washington)
Another 2078 hold out who took a year off to refine his skillset after spurning the advances of the Chicago Fire after that year’s draft. Mahmoud is a solid infielder who, according to the OSA ratings, should develop a keen eye to go along with his contact hitting approach. This is the type of guy who makes opposing starters work before teeing off on the bullpen. It should be noted that Cheech had this guy ranked low – he’s gone to great lengths to tell me, over and over, that he wouldn’t have picked him anywhere above the 3rd round.

Round 1, Pick 5 – SP Henry Nunn, 21 (Tennessee)
Nunn is a fine prospect – a power pitcher with a nasty fastball who’s known as a positive presence in the clubhouse. His control is, for now, an issue – albeit one that the OSA scouts believe he will work out in short order. Nunn should, one day, be a 'better than solid contributor' at the major league level – that is, if his fragility will allow him to compete without extended stays on the IL.

A smattering of my other picks…
Supplemental Round 1, Pick 14, 34th overall – LF Jayden Telting, 22 (Binghamton)… a homerun hitter with good discipline at the plate, speed, stealing ability and solid, if not awe-inspiring, range in the outfield.
Round 2, Pick 11, 45th overall – 3B Oberon Huskey, 21 (Duke)… a defensive liability with a little bit of pop.
Round 3, Pick 3, 57th overall – LF Nigel McLennan, 21 (Georgetown)… great outfield arm has some work to do at the plate and really can’t do much of value on the base paths. Hits a lot of line drives, is a gym rat with a superb work ethic, and is generally known as a good teammate. Low ceiling, but good to have around for our other prospects. Glue guy.
Round 4, Pick 3, 87th overall – 2B Rick Casablanca, 21 (Polk Community College)… good speed, solid stealing ability, hits balls deep in the gap but struggles with contact. He’s relaxed and confident, has a good work ethic, and is always respectful – another good glue guy that will serve as an example to his young teammates in Barbados.

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote