View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
PrinceofKirkland
Minors (Rookie Ball)

2000: Mid-Season Reports begin now!
(Actually it's 3/4 through the season, I was not paying attention but I think I like the 3/4 system better, it's a slightly more accurate representation of the teams but still leaves the excitement of the home stretch)

Three months in the pundits are scratching their heads. Several teams have surprised and several have disappointed. Let's dive into each team from worst to first to see how they are doing.

8th Place- San Francisco Electricity (31-51)
The Electricity were pegged to be the worst team in the league before the season and their 31-51 record proves this was a correct assumption. Manager Felix Lopez has been unable to rally his limited talent to any wins, with his team ranking 7th in runs scored with 312 and dead last in runs against with 404 scored against them.

The offence, while generally ineffective, has had some bright spots. One bright spot really. 25-year-old Puerto Rican Left Fielder Jorge Merced (.325/.399/.574, 20 HR, 42 RBI) has been on an absolute tear and giving Electricity fans something to cheer for. He has contributed 4.3 wins above replacement so far, making him the second most valuable hitter in the league. Although the record may suggest that he is completely alone, he is not, backed up by solid contributors like slugging 30-year-old Canadian Christian Girault (.241/.325/.528, 25 HR, 54 RBI) and young right fielder Bobby Powell (.287/.323/.474, 13 HR, 38 RBI). The rest of the team combined to bat .240 with a .294 on base percentage. However, they do rank second in the league in long bombs with 99, although Girault, and Merced make up half that number by themselves.

The starting pitching has no bright spots. It has been absolutely abysmal. The starters era ranks dead last in the league at 5.12. Starter Aston Walden (9-7, 4.45 ERA, 99 K, 51 BB) is the only pitcher on the roster with a winning record. Mike Payne (5-8, 4.34 ERA, 63 K, 31 BB) has been serviceable. The other three rotation members have been absolutely putrid, all with ERA’s higher than 5.60. Teams have been simply slaughtering San Francisco’s starters.

The Bullpen has been slightly better. Young closer Ivan “Fossil” Hernandez (1.76 ERA, 51 K, 7 BB, 17 Saves) earned his nickname from his teammates based on his tendency to act like an old man with early bedtimes and classical music. However, at 1.2 WAR he is the most valuable pitcher on the roster. The rest of the Bullpen is mediocre, pitching to a 3.34 team ERA which ranks 6th in the league which was full of strong bullpens.

All in all, I would not bet on this team making up the 18-game deficit over the next month and San Francisco fans should turn their attention to next year.
PrinceofKirkland is offline   Reply With Quote