View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 02:41 AM   #7
sprague
All Star Starter

For me the issue is how OOTP rates pitchers, simply directly from stats H, HR, W, SO. Which on the surface seems like a way to rate them, the same as you would with hitters. But there is a catch, 2 pitchers can have the same base stats, but the average pitcher goes 12-9 with a 3.56 ERA, while the star pitcher with similar stats goes 18-5 with a 2.96 ERA. What gives?
When they give up the hits and homeruns. The weaker pitcher gives them up with runners on. Jim Palmer or Bob Gibson give them up with no one on. Runners on second and third, 1 out, they strike out the next two batters- the average pitcher gives up a SF and a hit and give up 2 runs.
OOTP, hell even strat o matic or others dont take that into account.

One reason I stopped playing historical because I have to go in and change every pitcher to give a better reflection of their ERA as opposed to straight stats. Or at least give good pitchers a 10% boost in thier GB rating to help a bit

I have the same issue with fielding ratings (Ie how R Clemente winds up with a 125 arm while Reggie Jackson gets a 180 for example)

Anyway my 2 cents on the issue
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote