View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 AM   #35
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Aug. 1, 1984

Nope. That went to Darryl Strawberry, who hit .330/.436/.701 in the month with 11 HR and 26 RBI. Hmmmph.

(Also, Sammy didn’t win NL Rookie of the Month, which made me look at his service time - sure enough, he wasn’t being considered a rookie in the game, so I went into commish mode and altered his service time to echo what it was in 1984, as he was actually a rookie then.)

So, among all National League rookies, here’s where Juan Samuel ranks:

AVG - 1st
HR - T-1st (Sid Bream)
RBI - 2nd (Sid Bream)
OBP - 3rd (Dave Magadan, Sid Bream)
SLG - 1st
OPS - 1st
WAR - T-1st (Joe Orsulak)
TB - 1st
SB - 1st
XBH - 1st
ISO - 2nd (Sid Bream)
OPS+ - 2nd (Sid Bream)

But Samuel probably won’t win Rookie of the Year, because every pitching category is being dominated by Mets rookie Dwight Gooden.

Meanwhile, baseball wasn’t busy on July 31, sans my last deal. In all, 52 players changed uniforms over the month of July - I traded six of them, and I received 10 of them. (Cleveland, who at 47-59 is basically the American League us, made the most trades: five.)
  • RP Kenneth Walker promoted to MLB Philadelphia
  • 1B/OF Mark Funderburk demoted to AAA Portland

My relievers are overworked, so we need reinforcements. Up comes Walker, who - since being traded to my organization - has this line: 6.1 IP, 1.42 ERA, 7 K, 1 BB. That’ll play.

A scouting report: The 23-year-old reliever starts with a good, close to plus fastball that goes straighter than one would like but sits around 91-93, topping out around 94. He mixes that with a plus slider that rates as an out pitch, when he has command of it. Essentially Walker will have trouble with walks, though his career 2.3 BB/9 is nearly outstanding. His career 9.0 K/9 is also great. If he can harness his stuff, we’re talking about a high-leverage reliever. As of right now, he’s 65/65 stuff, 35/35 movement, and 35/35 control, with a 55/55 fastball and 65/65 slider.

Game 1984-107: Wrigley Field - Cubs 5, Phillies 4 / 46-61

Welp. We claw back to take a 4-3 lead in the top of the ninth, then Bill Campbell promptly gives up four hits, all with two outs. I’d say it’s the most frustrating loss of the year, but then again we’ve had our share.

On to St. Louis.

Aug. 2, 1984

Game 1984-108: Busch Stadium - Phillies 6, Cardinals 3 / 47-61

Charles Hudson goes eight and gives up just two earned, while we steal four bases off Darrell Porter, and Darren Daulton slams his third home run of the season.

Aug. 3, 1984

Ooh. Today’s matchup: Rick Reuschel (PHI) vs Jerry Koosman (STL). As Mel Allen would say: How about that? Also, these are two veterans, with Reuschel carrying a lifetime 141-131 record over 2383.2 innings, and Koosman sitting at 206-203 over 3643 innings. Special stuff.

Game 1984-109: Busch Stadium - Phillies 8, Cardinals 2 / 48-61

We win the all-important battle between players traded for one another a few days previously. Mike Schmidt socks a two-run homer off Koosman in the third, then with the sacks jacked in the sixth, Ivan de Jesus rips a two-run single. To cap it off, Reuschel goes the distance, and puts a feather in his cap by slamming his third-career home run - his first since 1977. Hell yeah, boys.

Aug. 4, 1984

Coming off the high of one of his best starts this season (during which he hit a home run), Rick Reuschel wants to talk contract extension. He would take one year for $310K, which is slightly more than he’s making this season ($287.5K). No, as I really want to upgrade for 1985. That said, I like his guile and finesse (50/55 movement, 50/60 control). Let’s see what he does with a few more starts before I even consider him for the future.

Game 1984-110: Busch Stadium - Cardinals 9, Phillies 4 / 48-62

A bullpen meltdown was coming. Here it’s Bill Campbell (once again), who is proving he’s not a stopper by any means. We give up six runs in an eighth inning that seals our fate. Juan Samuel hits homer No. 14 and steals base No. 44; he’s great.

Aug. 5, 1984

Reading RP John McLarnan goes down for a few weeks with elbow inflammation. I still might push him to AAA Portland when he returns, but it depends on numbers.

Game 1984-111: Busch Stadium - Phillies 13, Cardinals 10 / 49-62

This has to be the ceremonial ritual “bash the crap out of our problems” game. We go up 12-3 (then give up seven in the eighth) before finishing it off. Doing damage: Von Hayes (4-for-6, HR), Glenn Wilson (2-for-5, HR), Mike Schmidt (2-for-4, 2B), Len Matuszek (2-for-4, HR), Darren Daulton (3-for-4, 3B, HR). Eighteen hits total. Errors continue to be a problem (Juan Samuel now has committed 18), and Steve Mura is on his last legs (0.2 IP, 1 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 3 BB).

Before the week ends, the power rankings (we’re 18th):

1. Toronto Blue Jays - 75-36
2. Detroit Tigers - 74-38
3. Pittsburgh Pirates - 65-46
4. Los Angeles Dodgers - 66-46
5. Seattle Mariners - 61-51

The Tigers are just 1.5 behind the Blue Jays in the AL East; it’s amazing that only one of these teams can make the postseason. Meanwhile Seattle is creeping behind the Royals (just 3 back) in the AL West. The Dodgers have all but sewn up the NL West (up 12 on Cincinnati), while things remain tight in the NL East (Pirates by 2 over the Cardinals - you’re welcome Pittsburgh - and 3.5 over the Mets).

As for major leaguers we surrendered in trades - an update:
  • Bo Diaz (SEA) - 40 PA, .275/.326/.450, 3 XBH - Hitting better, of course, since moving to the Northwest.
  • Ozzie Virgil (OAK) - 257 PA, .284/.339/.500, 28 XBH - Well, good for him, I suppose.
  • Sixto Lezcano (DET) - 31 PA, .321/.355/.357, 1 XBH - Getting on base as usual.
  • Greg Gross (DET) - 12 PA, .300/.417/.400, 1 XBH - Small sample. He’s angry about playing time, of course.
  • Jerry Koosman (STL) - 6 IP, 7.50 ERA, 5 K, 2 BB - Against us.
  • Al Holland (CWS) - 7.1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 2 K, 1 BB, 6 SV - Just wait for the meltdown, Chicago.

Finally, great news: Juan Samuel has been named National League Player of the Week. He went 12-for-34 with 3 HR and 10 RBI this week. Just an outstanding rookie campaign.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote