View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #34
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

July 27, 1984

Game 1984-102: Veterans Stadium - Expos 3, Phillies 0 / 43-59

At this point I don’t care about wins and losses, though it’s frustrating as hell. The offense should be better (I mean, Bryn Smith shut us out today). The pitching should be better. I’m banking on 1985 being much better. Trust the process.

July 28, 1984

Chris Thomas accepted the hitting coach position in Reading. But the bigger news, which affects my offseason plans, is that SS Ozzie Smith has signed a four-year extension (worth $3.26M) to stay with St. Louis. That means free agent shortstops for 1984-85 are:
  • Bill Almon - 44/44
  • Chris Speier - 44/44
  • Jerry Royster - 43/43
  • Dale Berra - 42/42
  • Garry Templeton - 40/42
  • UL Washington - 42/42

Not exactly inspired. I was banking on acquiring a huge upgrade for 1985; now, I’m potentially settling for a poor solution. That means I need to pivot and bank on defense at shortstop. Luckily I have a top defensive SS in the system in Steve Jeltz (55). But there are two short-term upgrades: Speier (who I might be able to get on a short-term deal, though his offense is really poor), and Kansas City SS Onix Concepcion (40/44, 70 def). He has been offered to me before in trades; the Royals today would take Len Matuszek for him. For now, not gonna do it. But I’ll keep him in mind this offseason.

Game 1984-103: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 6, Expos 2 / 44-59

It takes a while, but we get one. Juan Samuel continues his torrid rookie campaign with three hits including his ninth triple, plus his 43rd stolen base. Charles Hudson goes seven strong (7 K, 2 BB). Also, we commit three errors (we’re now at 102, which is third in baseball behind the Dodgers and Mets).

July 29, 1984

Putting Mike Schmidt back in the lineup tonight. Meanwhile, nothing on the trade front. I’m probably done anyway.

Game 1984-104: Veterans Stadium - Expos 10, Phillies 1 / 44-60

I think we’ve reached the end for Jerry Koosman. The 41-year-old starter surrenders seven runs in 5.2 innings, raising his ERA to 5.39. (Steve Mura is now holding a 5.05 ERA, and he’s close to finished, too).

Here are Koosman’s numbers: 127 IP, 5.39 ERA (3.70 FIP), 58 K, 24 BB. It bugs me that he is defense-reliant, and our defense stinks. Still, he isn’t striking anyone out, which means something. Anyway, the issue is he has a vesting option at 180 IP, and he’s currently on pace for 197.2 IP. I could fudge it by going six-man in September, or just putting him in the bullpen, but I could also get value for him now.

The problem with that is I have nobody to promote from AAA to take his place. Here are the ratings of my most likely starters to be promoted:
  • SP Kelly Downs - 45 stuff, 35 movement, 50 control
  • SP Kyle Money - 45 stuff, 35 movement, 35 control
  • SP Steve Fireovid - 35 stuff, 35 movement, 45 control

I can’t just trade Koosman and hope one of these three figures it out in the majors. So, let’s ask around to see if a general manager will take Koosman and give me back another starting pitcher … (and I just said I thought I was done trading ...)

Yes. Detroit would give me SP Pete Vuckovich (48/48, 37.2 IP, 5.50 ERA, 21 K, 12 BB), and Boston would trade me RP/SP Dick Ruthven (28.2 IP, 5.34 ERA, 7 K, 8 BB). I’d rather do Vuck, but we’ll go another day, maybe two. I’ll take this to the end.

The power rankings (we’re 23rd of 26):

1. Toronto Blue Jays - 72-33
2. Detroit Tigers - 68-36
3. Los Angeles Dodgers - 62-44
4. Saint Louis Cardinals - 61-43
5. Kansas City Royals - 60-42

July 30, 1984

Some trades to report:

The Astros get C Ron Hassey from Cleveland for 2B Michael Garner and SP Pedro DeLeon. Another deal where the Indians completely get taken. Meanwhile, Baltimore ships SP Scott McGregor to St. Louis for 2B Glenn Gulliver and C Steve Barnard. That’s much more even.

It makes me wonder if I can take advantage of Cleveland.

Meanwhile, I ask around again about Koosman, and Houston says they’ll now deal me Joe Niekro. The potential hall of famer is 39 (younger than Koosman), is a free agent after 1985, and has a 3.27 ERA with 91 K and 45 BB. Those are better numbers than Koosman’s. Now, he’d be on roster next season, but I’m not totally against that - I am against having Koosman on roster next season.

Or, St. Louis would flip me Scott McGregor, who’s a free agent after this season (138.2 IP, 4.22 ERA, 34 K, 35 BB). No thanks with that ratio.

Anyway, the Niekro thing feels like a trap. I have to pay Carlton, Denny, Hudson, and Gross already, and bringing in Niekro means having to pay five starters. That means a potential issue if I bring in someone through free agency (and someone will be available via that route). I’ll go one more day - if I can get a veteran who’s expiring, fine; otherwise, maybe I just release Koosman when the time is right.

Game 1984-105: Wrigley Field - Phillies 6, Cubs 5 (10) / 45-60

Down 5-4 in the eighth, Mike Schmidt knocks a solo shot to tie it up. In the 10th, Glenn Wilson homers to go ahead and, ultimately, win it.

July 31, 1984

Trade deadline day. I ask around about Koosman once more, and it’s still Houston (Niekro) and St. Louis (McGregor, plus now Rick Reuschel) offering anyone. Reuschel’s numbers: 114.1 IP, 4.01 ERA, 70 K, 41 BB. Not bad. Maybe I will, honestly. He gets a bonus for 180 IP, but it’s not a second year under contract.

So I go to St. Louis, who would do Reuschel with Todd Worrell (40/45, 65.1 IP, 2.48 ERA, 56 K, 29 BB in AAA). This is good. Over to Houston, who’d alternatively start a deal with Mark Knudson (42/43, 25.2 IP, 1.75 ERA, 8 K, 9 BB). The St. Louis deal sounds so much better - I’m doing it.

TRADE

To St. Louis Cardinals

SP Jerry Koosman - 41

To Philadelphia Phillies

SP Rick Reuschel - 35
RP Todd Worrell - 24
$25,000

And:
  • SP Rick Reuschel assigned to MLB Philadelphia
  • RP Todd Worrell assigned to AAA Portland
  • RP Ted Kromy released

Good deal.

My new-ish look Phillies, as of end-of-day July 31:

Batting Order

LF - Von Hayes
2B - Juan Samuel
RF/LF/3B - Joe Lefebvre
3B - Mike Schmidt
1B - Len Matuszek
CF - Dave Stegman
C - Darren Daulton
SS - Ivan de Jesus

Bench

C - John W. Russell
1B/RF - Mark Funderburk
3B/1B/OF - Mike Diaz
SS/2B - Kiko Garcia
LF/RF - Glenn Wilson
CF - Garry Maddox

Starting Rotation

SP - Steve Carlton
SP - John Denny
SP - Charles Hudson
SP - Kevin Gross
SP - Rick Reuschel

Bullpen

RP - Bill Campbell
RP - Larry Andersen
RP - Tug McGraw
RP - Steve Mura
RP - Don Carman
RP - Ben Hayes

Game 1984-106: Wrigley Field - Phillies 6, Cubs 3 / 46-60

Kevin Gross goes seven strong (6 H, 2 ER, 4 K, 3 BB), and Ben Hayes of all people closes it out (though he came in with a four-run lead, meaning he couldn’t earn his first career save). Also, Juan Samuel continues his scorching play, going 2-for-5 with a home run and a double. He’s now at .299/.346/.492 with 46 XBH in 460 PA. In July he’s hitting .402/.445/.765 with 8 HR and 20 RBI. Could he win National League Player of the Month?

Last edited by The_Myth; 07-17-2019 at 06:02 PM.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote