View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #6
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Compensation is something you'll see more in the the Newer game rather than historical because...well historical would take a long time to emulate correctly.

Quick Facts:

- Compensation occurs during the time when a play is a Restricted Free Agent. Since the introduction of the salary cap, a tier system is now in place based on the value on the contracts. Teams still have a chance to match the offer, but typically it'll looking something like:

Less than $1,239,226 Nothing
Over $1,239,226 to $1,877,615 Third-round pick
Over $1,877,615 to $3,755,233 Second-round pick
Over $3,755,233 to $5,632,847 First and third-round picks
Over $5,632,847 to $7,510,464 First, second and third-round picks
Over $7,510,464 to $9,388,080 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $9,388,080 Four first-round picks

Salaries amounts are calculated on a 5 year scale however, no matter how long the contract actually is. This is important when you take in consideration when for instance, their was rumors Boston was going to try and sign Jacob Trouba. Due to the fact they traded away some picks, they would have been forced to give Trouba a contract value of at least 9.388 over 5 years - which would have cost them 4 First Round Picks. Not a smart move and luckily they wised up.

- Previously, Offer Sheets more of less started in late 1980s when Restricted FAs actually kinda became a thing that mattered. Teams offered contracts, but then also had to offer up compensation (often a player and draft pick), so the team potentially losing the player could either choose to match the offer or gain a little back.

This changed however with 1991 when the Blues signed Devils RFA Brendan Shanahan to a deal. The Blues offered G Curtis Joseph, C Rod Brind'Amour and two draft picks, but the Devils asked for a solid young player - Scott Stevens. It eventually went to an arbitrator and he awarded Scott Stevens to the Devils....which is where we seem compensation change a bit again. Teams began 'Swinging for the Fences' with asks back. Not all got them, but it changed the way business was done again.

I'm going to say this is something Jeff would probably like to add to the series in future, but creating and tasking an AI logic to balance it out would take significant work. It's much easier to replicate in the current and future years since we now have a basis for it.
This is great info, thanks. I don't think I realized, historically, how game-changing the Shanahan and Stevens situation was. I guess I should've being a Devils fan, but I just never put it all together until you wrote it up like this. That's awesome.

I was wondering about why it always said "no compensation" for players when I was swimming. Now I totally get it. The more I play the more I like the decisions the designers have made. Yea, the game could use tweaks (what game couldn't?) but for the second iteration of FHM this sim is excellent.

As an aside, the tool tips are wonderful and I'd like to see more if possible. This is a possible area where a tooltip might help. An explanation like what Adam just wrote, popping up somewhere, about compensation would save peeps like myself wondering about certain things. The only downside I can think of is with the game changing so much I can understand why you don't want to write in too many explanations for things that will change, but I figured I'd put this out there as a thought.

EDIT: I. just realized I had a question. Does this mean that compensation isnt/won't be simulated at all for the historical mode? Or am I misreading your post?

Last edited by AEWHistory; 09-21-2016 at 01:06 AM.
AEWHistory is offline   Reply With Quote