View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #26
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

July 9, 1984

As we enter the all-star break, it’s time to ramp up those trade discussions. A quick recap.

Players I’m looking to unload:
  1. C - Bo Diaz
  2. RF - Sixto Lezcano
  3. RP - Al Holland
  4. IF/OF - Greg Gross
  5. OF - Garry Maddox
  6. 1B/C - John Wockenfuss
Diaz, Lezcano, and Holland are my priority. I want Darren Daulton in the big leagues; Lezcano has value to me now (and none beyond a potential compensation draft pick once he becomes a free agent); and Holland is unhappy here (plus I don’t see him as a closer, and I can’t risk that kind of issue down the line).

Gross isn’t priority, but shedding him means freeing up more space in the outfield. Maddox is only gone if I can snare a playable center fielder, as I wouldn’t mind moving Von Hayes to left field before the year ends. And Wockenfuss is in the minors, so purging him isn’t a necessity, but he’d probably like to be somewhere else.

Meanwhile, here’s what I’d like to get:
  • Top-100 prospect (no position preference, but probably not a catcher)
  • Power-hitting corner outfielder
  • MLB-ready center fielder (good defense and contact)
  • MLB-ready relief pitcher (preferably young with high stuff ratings)
  • MLB-ready starting pitcher (good control and movement)

I’m not assuming I get all or even some of these parts, but it gives me targets. Otherwise I’d love cash, and minor league filler is acceptable in some situations.

So, let’s start with Diaz. Teams that may need a catcher include the Mets and Mariners. The Brewers, now 15.5 games behind Toronto, probably won’t be buying now. I’ll add Cincinnati, whose backup is Alex Trevino (37). And after scouting those teams, the only kind of player they have is the MLB-ready relief pitcher. They include:
  • NYM - Kevin Brown - 20 - 31/31 - 65/65 stuff, 35/35 movement, 25/25 control
  • NYM - Mitch Cook - 21 - 39/39 - 55/55 stuff, 35/35 movement, 45/45 control
  • SEA - Karl Best - 25 - 36/36 - 70/70 stuff, 35/35 movement, 30/30 control
  • SEA - Bill Mendek - 22 - 32/32 - 70/70 stuff, 35/35 movement, 20/25 control
  • CIN - Louie Trujillo - 24 - 28/28 - 70/70 stuff, 35/35 movement, 20/25 control

I like Cook and Best over the rest. So I call the Mets about Cook, and GM Jason Kincaid wants to think it over. I’d have to pony up $185K to make the numbers work (I have $346K available to trade). Then I call Seattle about Best, and GM Norm Willis says the same; for this deal, I’d have to pay nearly an additional $210K. Finally’ Reds’ GM Geoff Zubal echoes the other executives, and for that deal I’d have to pay $203K. I think I want to look further into Best, so I propose Diaz and the minimal cash amount, $205,555.

July 10, 1984

Norm Willis doesn’t like the proposed deal. He wants another prospect, and the only one I’d possibly surrender is infielder Ramon Henderson, a 20-year-old in A Peninsula who’s hitting well (.299/.347/.411) but apparently tinkers with his swing too much and lacks anything that makes him stand out. He feels like, at best, a utility guy, if he even gets there.

Still, I’d rather give up less. I instead offer infielder Dave Kennard, also in Peninsula, who has been blocked this year and needs a fresh start.

1984 Major League Baseball All-Star Game: Candlestick Park - National League 2, American League 1

A classic all-star game at Candlestick Park.

The AL had a 1-0 lead into the sixth, when Gary Carter (who won the MVP) struck a tying home run. In the seventh, Jack Clark doubled to score the winning run, who was .... Von Hayes! Stick walked (of course), stole second (naturally), then scored the eventual winner. It was his only plate appearance of the game, and it was huge. Meanwhile, Mike Schmidt hit in the cleanup spot and went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.

July 11, 1984

The Tigers and Brewers make a deal, with the former sending outfielder Larry Herndon to the latter for pitcher Don Sutton. I imagine Detroit figured Herndon was extraneous, needing a starter to shore up the rotation.

Still no word from the Mariners. I’d love to get a deal done before the break ends.

July 12, 1984

The Mariners return with another rejection. They want Henderson, so I come back offering outfielder Tony Brown (24/33), who’s in A Peninsula and strikes out a bunch. He’s as good a prospect as Henderson, if not better, so I gotta believe Seattle is cool with this.

Thus, I ask for an additional player: an outfielder named Jay Erdahl, 25, playing in class-A. He’s a superior defensive player (55 in RF, +9.3 ZR, 1.048 EFF) with a decent eye (50/50) and speed (50), plus enough raw power to hack it (45/45). He belongs in AAA and could be a bench player down the line.

Norm Willis says yes. I feel good about the deal; sure, I lose some money here, and I don’t get a great prospect, but I get an MLB-ready reliever (who will need some work) who needs a little change in locale, and a potential bench bat down the line. Diaz is a Type B free agent and could get me a supplemental draft pick, but I’d rather get value now for him, especially as it gives me the freedom to move Darren Daulton to the majors. Let’s do it.

TRADE

To Seattle Mariners:

Bo Diaz - C - 31
Tony Brown - LF - 22
Cash - $205,555

To Philadelphia Phillies

Karl Best - RP - 25
Jay Erdahl - RF/CF - 25

Corresponding moves:
  • RP Karl Best assigned to AAA Portland
  • RF/CF Jay Erdahl assigned to AAA Portland
  • C Darren Daulton promoted to MLB Philadelphia
  • RP John Poloni released

Good news: Team morale is now “happy” and not just “content.” Have no idea how this happened, but maybe my guys secretly didn’t like Bo Diaz.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote