View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #22
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Your patience with this team is worth building a statue to.

Way back in OOTP17, I got tired of Beckwith's inconsistency. He'd pitch well in low-leverage situations and get hammered every time the score was tied or close. I traded him and prospect Melido Perez to the Reds for Cesar Cedeno sometime in June. I hoped the extra offense a creaky old Cedeno might bring would offset having to count on the rusted husk of Dennis Leonard to fill Beckwith's bullpen spot.

Cedeno did fine (he hit around .260 in the No. 2 hole) but the bullpen fell apart and my Royals failed to even win 80 games. I started bringing Quiz in in the seventh, then the sixth and sometimes even the fifth inning and seeing if I could count on Jones or Farr at the back end. I put Bud Black in the pen and went with a 4-man rotation.

The 1985 Royals, I am convinced, are OOTP's version of the old Oregon Trail game. It's a compelling challenge, a goal that almost seems reachable (and history proves that it is) ... until we all end up killing and eating each other in the mountains.

What you're doing, though, is even more immersive than what I did, and I believe will be more rewarding. Stay healthy, hit a good stretch where you can put either a long-ish win streak (6-9 games) or a series of shorter ones together, try to get back to around .500 by the All-Star Break, it's still doable. The teams ahead of you will fall back to around .500 by then as well. Then you can pick them off in divisional play over the long summer as gravity and mediocrity restore order.

I am intrigued to see how Al Holland does. This could turn out to be a pretty good move.
webrian is offline   Reply With Quote