View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #28
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I hear you, CBeisbol (and Reed). We have differing opinions, and that's fine. Baseball is big enough to support lots of different opinions. Some caveats:
  • Mine is a batting award; perhaps this WAR is geared to MVP but IRL, how much does baserunning and defense count toward the real MVP?
  • I would assume that OOTPD's WAR would not vary so much from FanGraph's and others, but could it? Not good, if so. Who is right?
  • Granted, this is 1906 and perhaps the current definition of WAR is not good for that era. If so, how useful is WAR for comparing players of different times?
Anyway, I share this irony: After all that, I didn't go with Estave or Pennypacker. Instead, I picked this guy. I started with OPS and searched for his name on other lists. Yes, I know AVG, OBP, and SLG all comprise OPS but he was also up there in Hits, Runs, Total Bases, and Stolen Bases.

I think Gibson was the best all-around batter and baserunner in the league this year. As far as fielding, that's for my Golden Glove Award.

Thus, the dark horse for the Batting Excellence Award (plus, he's an interesting 2-way player). And a new approach to manually picking my awards, thanks to participating in this thread.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-08-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote