View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #31
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
I prefer the AL with the DH.

BUT

My VAST preference is to have the two leagues DIFFERENT and the DH is the way that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
This is kind of how I feel, as well. I like the lack of DH in the NL, not so much because I dislike the DH, but because I like the uniqueness that having it/not having it creates for the two leagues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I play with the DH in both leagues in my EBL league thru 2025, after that neither league will have it.Ii started the DH in the AL in 2015 and added it to the NL in 2020. I prefer to play without it but it depends on the league. IRL I am a fan of it, but i like the fact that one league has it and the other does not.
I used to like this aspect of it as well, but after having been a Cubs season ticket holder for 16 seasons, I have come around to the idea that the National League should have the DH, too. I have evolved to prefer seeing every at bat contested fairly and honestly, rather than watching a hitter actively try to make an out, sometimes without there even being a runner on base, just to maintain his energy for pitching or to keep from hurting himself at bat or on the bases. (Yeah, that happens, and more than you'd wish.)

Except for the NL and the Central League in Japan, every other league above high school uses the DH, and high school teams themselves frequently use the DH themselves in place of their weakest hitter (which, at that level, is not always the pitcher). So by employing a DH, it's not as though the American League is uniquely sinful by perverting the very essence of baseball, and more to the point, it's not as though it's still an experiment and not "real baseball". It's been around for over 40 years, and it's used in probably over 90% percent of all consequential games. So if anything, the DH game has become "real baseball", and the alternative is a hoary relic of a dim and distant past.

Ban the "Hitting" Pitcher!

Last edited by chucksabr; 09-12-2014 at 10:51 AM.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote