Thread: OOTP 21 feature
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #50
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
I'm pretty sure it used to have that. I could be thinking of another game but I'm pretty sure it was the early OOTP's, like OOTP3 and 4 which would have a bobble head day, etc. The problem was that it was just repetitive and you set up the same things as much as you could. It didn't really add to the game.

IMO the OOTP game is stagnant lately exactly because the development emphasis is on PT. I skipped OOTP XX, which is the first version I've missed in a long time, because it really had no updates that interested me. I'm just hoping that since PT is entrenched now, 21 will be back to upgrading the main game, especially in the area of AI coaches and managers which has been half finished for years now - in fact actually gone backward when it comes to coaches, since you get less info about pitching/batting coaches in recent versions than you did in titles like OOTP 11.
Yeah a lot gets repetitive in any game but if its still fun some how then its worth. The problem is making it fun over and over.

I'll probably buy 21 anyway but if it doesn't wow me then all future versions are a wait and see approach.

See to me even if they improve the AI and the simulation aspect 200% it will still play almost exactly the same as all the other versions.

I think they were onto something with "challenge mode" i really liked in in 19. But then after a couple of universes it feels like challenge mode is only half complete.

There are no game mechanics in challenge mode to get anything accomplished on the owner/mlb type of level. Since that is considered "god mode" and straight disabled in challenge mode.

I don't things outside of difficulty and setup settings should be disabled but proper mechanics needs to be built. You want to change the draft, or the league, or international stuff, then have a game mechanic built in to get it done.

I would use "challenge mode" in addition to something like a "normal campaign" from your standard video games. Where that game type was always opening day full universe setup for MLB. But it would have built in mechanics to get things changed on the universe level whether that was some kind of voting system, financial system, players union and commissioner committee whatever.

It would still have all the current modes for people who don't like all that extra video game stuff and just want a straight present day sim, or fictional sim, or historical sim.

OOTP just needs something to shake the staleness off. I actually enjoyed PT more then the base game in XX. Just because it felt fresh and I had fun playing it.

But from a video game perspective there is a lot missing. Like its great there are all these graphic and stadium mods but that is because there is no in game mechanic.

And honestly splitting OOTP sales point on multiple store fronts hurts the video game aspect even more. That is why no one uses the steam workshop for it. But even Motorsport Manager had several hundred assets on the steam workshop. The game was released in 2016 and people are still updating their assets and making new ones on the steam workshop and that game is out of production and there isn't even a sequel planned.

Yes OOTP has the workshop but no one will use it because it has independent mods for the non steam version of the game. But then you are only going to attract baseball and sports fans and not fans from the larger video game community.

So if you buy the steam version you are still forced to read the convoluted mod forum here and sift through a decades plus worth of info instead of the nice steam workshop.

And I think that leads to one of the problems OOTP wants to cater to its oldschool baseball sim hardcore fanbase while using PT to attract the wider audience while not using the basegame to attract the wider base.

OOTP XX all time peak user numbers are pretty low Motorsport as an example had 6x the peak user on steam and there is no way Motorsport was as popular as OOTP. But the majority of OOTP users don't get it from steam.

I would love to see Steam numbers vs base that just plays Perfect Team. My gut tells me PT is more popular with the Steam user base.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote