View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Cool stuff! Just wondering what your structural plans are moving forward. Are you going to at some point introduce the American Association and other high-profile minor leagues? And/or expand your four leagues to include some of the larger MLB & AA cities? Or?

Or maybe you haven't decided yet... Either way, and keep us posted!
I'm gonna be honest. Since the MLB doesn't exist, I don't know what happens.

I think that two things happen automatically: 1. players, including major leaguers show up in our subsequent four-league Association first-year player draft each year. I may wean out some of the stars, but leave some of those that had real minor league careers with some years in the majors in, since they fit with the league idea; and 2. that other historical minor leagues will just show up.

As to this issue, the really low minors I may just eliminate and let their players show up in our draft, some being good enough to take on potential ability, some left undrafted maybe. But the AA and others leagues that are AA and AAA probably require us expanding. So when they hit even numbers, I may do the same combining thing I did with the Texas and Western leagues, or else just add them as a further round in our playoff system which may end up being like the NCAA eventually !

But since the main problem with the minors is not having enoug players for real rosters if you are no longer servants of the big leagues, then the more the merrier, with the occasional culling of the herd so that with enough players and just a few fewer teams overall, there should be enough to maintain the current 25 player active rosters, but hopefully within a few years get to at least 15 man reserve rosters as well.

The games are fun so far - my Bears are 1-2 - Satchel Paige did win his first start against Rochester, but I left him in for one batter too long, and Tom Padden, a catcher who apparently later played for the Pittsburgh Pirates for a few years, but who in 1930 was playing for the Baltimore Orioles of the same International League (AAA), and who is on Rochester's Red Wings in my world (also in the International League), hit his second homer of the day off Satchel, this one with the bases loaded to temporarily lose the lead.

My guys came back in the bottom of the 7th with three home runs and regained the lead and I have discovered a relief pitcher named Roosevelt Davis (great baseball name) a Negro League pitcher for the historical St. Louis Stars, who I am hoping will prove my reliable bullpen man. He shut the Red Wings down for two innings and we won.

But the St. Louis Stars of 1930 must have been awesome - They had Cool Papa Bell, and two sluggers I had never heard of till I started this game - Willie Wells, a shortstop who in my world plays for the Negro League Chicago American Giants, and Firstbaseman Mule Suttles, who plays for the Seattle Indians of the Pacific Coast League in my world, both of whom hit over 40 homers that real life historical year.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote