Thread: 1974 Lou Brock
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #27
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Brock did have many double digit assist years from left field. But the thing is, if you look up the left fielders who did that on a consistent basis in the post-WWII period, you get a laundry list of guys who didn't have very good arms. Guys like Time Raines, Barry Bonds. Gene Richards had a season where he had 20+ assists from LF (if you remember Gene Richards's throwing arm, you'll know how amazing that stat is). The only LF that I know of who was constantly reaching that assist level and had a good arm was Willie Stargell. Of course, Willie ran like a wounded water buffalo. So despite having a gun for an arm, teams were taking chances on him because it took him a while to get to the ball. Brock had a similar type of problem on the other side of the coin. Everyone knew Lou was going to get to the ball quickly once he tracked it. And I might even go so far as to say that his arm strength was above average for a LF. But his throwing accuracy was erratic enough for teams to feel comfortable taking the gamble. About a dozen times a year, the gamble didn't work.

tl;dr - Double digit assists in LF usually means a throwing issue of some kind. Double digit assists in RF usually means you have a serious arm.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote