View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Walk-up Name Announcement Sound Files - Detroit Tigers

I've been playing with walk-up sounds for OOTP. Rather than music snippets, Silvam suggested name announcements instead so I tried to automate that a little.

Attached is a zip file of "walk-up" sound files for OOTP. They're as if the player's name were announced over the P.A. They're made using an online text-to-speech software ( https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/ ) and some editing (using the free Audacity software). The attached file is most of the Detroit Tigers batters and a few bonus players.

Players:
Andrew Toles.ogg
Christian Villanueva.ogg
Dixon Machado.ogg
Dylan Cozens.ogg
JaCoby Jones.ogg
James McCann.ogg
Jefry Marte.ogg
Jeimer Candelario.ogg
John Hicks.ogg
Jose Iglesias.ogg
Miguel Cabrera.ogg
Mikie Mahtook.ogg
Niko Goodrum.ogg
Omar Narvaez.ogg
Renato Nunez.ogg
Victor Martinez.ogg
Victor Reyes.ogg

Instructions:
Download and unzip into the C:\Users\<you>\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 19\sounds directory before you start up OOTP.

Notes:
- "walk-up" sound files don't play when the player walks up. They play after the first button press. That's when OOTP locks in the AB.
- The sounds don't always play. <shrug> Maybe that's a good thing. They can get old.
- Walk-up sounds only play for the home players.
- They may take a while after you download and install them to settle in and begin to play for you. <shrug>
- The OOTP manual says that the files should be .wav but .ogg files work just fine and are much smaller filesize.

If you want to make your own, it's pretty easy. Here's the process I use:
1. I grab a list of names that I want to process. Usually it's a lineup list from online or from OOTP and then "Open in External Browser".
2. Fiddle with that list in Excel or a text editor to get just the names without position, number, etc.
3. I go to https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/ , set the voice to "English(US)-Ryan", set the Speed to -1 to slow down and deepen his voice, and paste the list of names.
4. Do a test listen. Most names are probably OK. If he butchers someone's name try to edit the name to be more phonetic. Something like "Cast EE ahn nose" for Castellanos. Mlb.com has last name pronunciations if you need 'em.
5. I use the free Audacity software to capture and edit the sounds. Here's a link on how to have Audacity capture the sounds that are played from your PC speakers: https://www.howtogeek.com/217348/how...ut-stereo-mix/. I use Option 2: and let Audacity do it.
6. Hit record in Audacity and play on the naturalreaders website. That will give you a track in Audacity with several names.
7. In Audacity, I then select one name's worth and about 1 second after (to allow for echo). Copy. Paste in a new project.
8. If the name sounded a little funky, you can edit while it's in Audacity. The only editing I've done is snip out some long sounds (e.g. he sounds like "Castellannnnnnnnos" so I take out a half a second of nnnn's).
9. Add Effect/reverb at the "large room" setting. The "large room" setting will be defaulted after the first time you select it.
10. Add Effect/echo at delay=0.5 and decay=0.25 settings. Those settings remain defaulted after the first time.
11. Export as .ogg file with the player's name as the filename (e.g. "Miguel Cabrera.ogg) in the ...\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 19\sounds directory.
12. Exit that new project.
13. Repeat steps 7 - 12 for the next name.

It's pretty easy once you're set up. You can do about 15 names in 15 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Questions and comments are welcomed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tigers.zip (433.0 KB, 520 views)

Last edited by Bobble; 04-25-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote