View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #9
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Wednesday, November 8, Year 0

Trade #5:
Minor league RP Jon Budney (33-R) to New York for 3 minor leaguers: SP Larry Smith (25-R), RP Bill Clark (25-L) and RP Emanuel Glenn (23-R).

Budney has some skill (2.45 ERA in AAA), but is old and a slacker and coming off surgery.

Smith is not much, but might be useful. He does not strike batters out much, but has been successful in the minors. Dave Dafoe rated this as a non-transaction. Clark and Glenn are just fillers to pitch in the minors and are not prospects.

Trade #6:
2 minor leaguers: SP Rick Hammer (23-L) and SP Ron Fiorini (21-R) to Pittsburgh for RP Barry Chapman (25-R) and minor league SP Joe Fuller (19-L).

Hammer was 2-1 in 3 starts for Portland with only 3 ER allowed after jumping to the majors from A Ball. He has definite skills, but lacks the stamina I require in my starters and the scouts say his control and gopher balls will both be issues, though neither has been so far in his minor league career or in the 3 starts he made for Portland. Fiorini is a middling prospect .

Chapman had a 2.90 ERA as a rookie last season. Fuller has a chance to be something very special if he develops an effective 2nd and 3rd pitch. If he does not, he will most likely still be a useful reliever. Right now, all he can throw well is his cut fastball.

Trade #7:

Minor League SP Bob O'Neal (28-R) to San Francisco for 5 minor leaguers: SP Tony Kelley (24-L), SP Dan Snyder (25-R), RP Phil Keyer (23-R), RP Ed Rambo (24-L) and SS Hector Ruiz (26-S).

O'Neal was decent in AAA (3.39 ERA), but lacks stamina. None of the players we got are prospects and all are just to fill roles in the minors. Our AAA team had no shortstop and Ruiz is a good one, though he cannot hit.

Trade #8:
3 minor leaguers: C Chris Robinson (21-R), 3B Ray Faircloth (23-R) and SS Lenny Bennett (20-L) to Detroit for 5 minor leaguers: RP Bob Kravtsov (25-L), C Ken Oberholtzer (23-R), C Bob Robbins (24-L), 1B Gene Johnson (24-L) and LF Tony Casarez (19-L).

All 3 of the players we are sending to the Tigers are solid prospects who's one weakness is that they are very impatient at the plate.

All of the players the Tigers are sending to us are minor league fillers, except for Casarez. The Scouting Combine has him filed as a decent prospect. He was rated #94 two years ago by Baseball America, but dropped out of the Top 100 this past April. However, our own Scouting Department thinks he is something very special and I have to go with Dave Dafoe on this one. He played in C Ball this past season and hit .291 with 52 extra base hits and 95 RBI. He was 18 years old. That is unheard of! 18 year olds do not hit the ball with authority in C Ball! Or in Rookie Ball for that matter...

Trade #9:
Minor league CF Roger Lowell to San Francisco for 3 minor leaguers: SP Bob Grigg (23-R), SP Dick Petrie (23-R) and RP Wendell Rittweger (23-R).

Lowell is a middling prospect who is unmotivated.

Have I said this before? If not, let me say it again.....As everyone who knows me knows, I can put up with almost any kind of asinine behavior as long as you hustle. But if you do not hustle and practice hard, I have no use for you, no matter how talented you are.

Grigg is the only player we are receiving who has any chance of making the Major Leagues, and his chance is slim, especially since he will need another 6 months to recover from his elbow surgery.

Okay, that is all the trading for a while. I have not traded everyone I want to, but I need a vacation...

Before I head off to Tahiti, I made an offer to Free Agent 3B Glenn Pearce (38-R) of $200,000 for 1 season. He has no power, but he is a career .300 hitter and hit .322 in very limited action last season. If he signs, he'll be a backup and pinch-hitter. I also made offers to about 2,000 minor leaguers....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote