View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #1
Jim Gindin
Solecismic Software

Front Office Football Eight Update

While working on Front Office Football Nine, it occurred to me that since we aren't on the cusp of releasing this product, it would be nice to do what I've done almost every year since starting this project.

So I just released the 8.2 Update for FOF. It's a little bigger than my normal updates. I wanted to show off a couple of new ideas for game planning - ideas that are going to be part of FOF9. But I was excited to get them out there while you're waiting for the new game since the wait has been a bit longer than anticipated.

The update contains the 2018 player file, coaching file and schedule. New games will default to using these files and will begin in 2018 with the current salary cap structure.

The update includes new intermediate game-planning screens. These allow a little more fine-tuning of playbooks and game plans without having to design everything from scratch. You will still benefit from doing everything by hand, but the guided plans will allow considerable customization of your offensive game plan without having to spend hours working on every play.

During the season, you will able to install up to 12 new plays to your playbook each week. If you're at the limit of 200, you will have to delete plays to make room for the new ones. If you are continuing a saved game that's in-season, you will have to simulate a week before you can add new plays (this applies to multi-player as well).

The update includes a new blitzing designation screen that gives you a lot more control over which defenders blitz out of your basic personnel packages. Your saved defensive game plans will still work, but you will have to add blitz settings and then save them again to continue to use them.

The update includes a new drag-and-drop interface functionality for the main offensive and defensive game-planning screens. This will allow for quicker fine-tuning of game plans (OK, that's the one piece that doesn't directly translate to FOF9 - we haven't yet worked on the GUI for game planning).

There are a couple of minor bug fixes as well, nothing that affects the integrity of the game simulation.

Finally, there are a couple of tweaks to the process of evaluating free agent signings. First, the game will be a little less forgiving about correcting rosters that don't meet guidelines and will try to sign only rookie free agents. And second, players will be much stricter about letting their agents talk them into assigning much value to back-loaded offers.

This is an opportunity, for those of you who are new to the Front Office Football concept, to try the game out. And for those long-time customers who are watching, please take the time to review the game on Steam if you haven't already.

Happy simming...

Last edited by Jim Gindin; 10-22-2018 at 05:57 AM.