View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #30
italyprof
All Star Reserve

in 1918, Eddie Collins hit .364 for OC with 119 stolen bases, and Baltimore's Ron Santo .352 with a league-leading 38 homers to establish each as the new stars of the American League.

Charles "Chief" Bender is the new ace of the AL, his 1.91 ERA led the league easily, Seaver of the Blues was second at 2.36, and Bender won 24 and struck out 279 to win the pitching triple crown.

MIckey Mantle hit .379 with 45 home runs to lead the NL in both categories, and Paul Konerko drove in 138 runs for LA as well, as George Brett came in second in RBI with 122 for the Beaneaters.

I note that the home run totals re-adjusted suddenly, after the last two seasons of record numbers and several players hitting 50, something I don't want.

I think we really saw a simulation of the real world effects of expansion. After a season or so, better pitchers have also arrived in the majors who were waiting in the minors and things are back to normal. I think.

Stolen bases seem out of control, an effect of the 1986 historical year setting I guess, but Armando Marsans's 130 stolen bases seems a little disproportionate. Anyway, this is now the new all-time season record.

Cincinnati's Roy Hallady won 23 games and posted a 2.14 ERA, best in the NL.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote