Thread: Ryu
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyKarkovice View Post
So in 2019 they shouldn't keep track of the RBI stat *extreme Prince voice* Like-It's-1899!?

RBI is not what impresses me about that season. Comparing two 1990s cards ('95 Belle) who hit the same .317 average and were 50 HR and 50 Double guys, Gonzalez has lower power ratings at 78, 77 as well.

Obviously Eye and Avoid K's are the difference. See Albert Belle's 1995 card at 91 overall. He had more BBs and less Ks but the Power ratings higher at 82, 86 too. Both hit .317 but Belle with 3 more contact points. Both below average outfielders. I can't defend the 22 point difference in the Gonzalez card.

Ventura card season he was a Gold Glove boosting the fielding over 90 and he walked 22 more times than he struck out boosting those ratings. Easier to defend the Ventura card rating imo.
I don't think you can compare stats from different years, even if it's the same era. Like I said, Juan's power rating comes from 1998 which was the McGwire and Sosa juicey-juice year. But yeah, you're right that the BB/K ratio doesn't put Juan in a good light.

But it doesn't really matter what the rating on the card is. Juan's 69 rated card is one of the better Bronze cards in the game if you have a homer-friendly park. It's better than a lot of Silver cards despite him being bad at fielding.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote