Old 05-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #137
so49as
Major Leagues

Game 7 – April 14
8 – Royals
1 – Boston

WP – Charlie Leibrandt (1-1)
LP – Oil Can Boyd (0-2)

Leibrandt scattered 7 hits and Boston could only manage a Dwight Evans solo home run. Quisenberry came in with 1 runner on 1st in the 8th and held the Sox for the remainder.

Cooper was the only Royal not to register a hit, but he walked twice. Brett hit a 2-run homer in the 3rd and had 3 RBI's total. Wilson, Sundberg, and Baines all had triples with Wilson driving in 2 on his.

A good all around offense showing for the club.

Game 8 – April 16
7 – Royals
1 – Boston

WP – Bud Black (1-1)
LP – Bob Ojeda (0-1)

Black pitched another fine game at Fenway, giving up 5 hits and 1 run in 8 innings. He tallied 5 strikeouts against no walks.

The offense was more clustered, but in a good way. 5 Royals had multi-hit games – Trammell, Brett, Baines, McRae, and Sundberg. We jumped out to a 4 run lead in the first. Sundberg, McRae, and Cooper each had 2 RBI's.

Game 9 – April 17
2 – Royals
0 – Boston

WP – Danny Jackson (2-0)
LP – Dave Stieb (0-2)

I was at first a little confused seeing Dave Stieb starting for the Sox, thinking I might have accidentally started the next series, but had forgotten he signed with the Sox for over $10m across 7 seasons.

Stiebe and Jackson dueled until the 8th when George Brett tripled with 1 out and scored on a Cecil Cooper sacrifice fly. We added an insurance run in the 9th when Cole and Collins back to back doubled.

Jackson gave up 9 hits, but left 7 Sox stranded. He struck out only 1 and threw 89 pitches, 69 strikes.

-
The Sox came in 0-6, and leave 0-9, which doesn't leave me unhappy.

Frank White returns from the injured list and a 5 game rehab/restart in Memphis. Mike Cole started 7 games in his absence, hitting .333.

Rule V draftee Jim Deshaies came off the disabled list and will serve a rehab in Memphis. No rush in his return.

-
4-5 – 5th; 3 games behind Seattle
so49as is offline   Reply With Quote