View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
I'd say the POW/EYE player archetype is at least as common as the CON/GAP archetype. Also, avoidK (K%) and Eye (BB%) are not the same thing.
Yep, generally speaking the power/eye players are not super hard to find. A lot of lives actually fit pretty well on offense. The middle infield can be a bit challenging.

The strikeouts are something you just accept with this strategy. Not much you can do about it. If you want power, strikeouts just come with that. Where the eye rating really helps, is your strikeout/walk ratio. For example I just checked my team and even though they do strike out a ton (tops in the league) they are also tops in walks. So their strikeout to walk ratio is not bad really, under 2:1. Whereas on the pitching side, my pitchers are over 4:1.

The big mistake everyone makes that leads to the whole "live players suck" belief, is that live pitchers absolutely do not work with this strategy. When you set up your park to favor power, live pitchers will simply get destroyed by their low MOV. So your pitchers need to be historicals with high MOV and also CON to prevent walks. Luckily the collections have really lowered the prices on such pitchers, making it more viable than ever. Guys like Matt Morris, Tommy John, etc. could take a team to perfect and cost under 10k.

When your pitchers aren't walking guys or giving up homers, that leaves base hits as the chief means of scoring runs. This is where the negative park effects come into play. The .9 factor for batting average is such a huge boon to your pitchers...you should find yourself consistently beating FIP by about half a run, even if your defense is just average. That is huge. And since your offensive players are getting on base via the walk, which isn't affected at all by the penalty, this is basically how you can have your cake and eat it too.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote