View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #42
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

***The View from Outside the Park***

This is a view from outside the park about, well, ballparks.
New ballparks in the WPK, to be more precise. A new ballpark for every team in the league.

It's a new day in the WPK as nearly every team has the potential for greater attendance numbers than they did previously as they have brand new stadiums/ballparks with larger capacity.

Basically, as I mentioned in the original thread about this league in the OOTP19 fictional subfolder, after failing to figure out how to import customized ballparks into the game when I first tried some time ago, I recently revisited this process and figured it out (of course, it isn't really that hard, once you get it) and therefore I have imported new ballparks into the game for all the WPK big league teams.
Thanks again to folks like Silvam and Adion, eriqjaffe, and nielsoncp for their wonderful creations.
I had been using current MLB parks 3D images for all my WPK teams, just trying to align as best I could with the city/region they are in (so, of course, Coors Field for my Brewers) but keeping all of the ballpark names/dimensions/factors/etc. from the creation of the league.
One result was that the Brewers had a much larger seating capacity, and therefore pretty inevitably led the league in attendance, than any other team. This wasn't something I rigged- it was just how it came out in the league creation process.
It will be interesting to see how this affects the financial realities of the WPK as all teams have potential to increase revenue at an accelerated rate in the next few years.

So, for me it helps immersion into this universe to have ballparks that won't be look like MLB parks that I am familiar with and that my WPK teams can have their ballparks help to create the story of the team going forward. Plus, it makes things a little less easy on me as I won't have the same sort of attendance, and therefore revenue, advantage that I had for the first 7 years of the league's existence.

In the process, I tried to keep ballpark factors more or less in line, league-wide, with previous factors. On a team level there will be some drastic changes, but overall the factors should balance out about the same as they did previously. However, there is a slight shift in that the MGL has ballparks that are, taken as a whole, a bit more hitter friendly than before and the opposite has happened in the SJL.

For our Brewers the biggest difference will be that the old park favored left-handed hitters quite a bit more than right-handed hitters and that has now switched to being fairly favorable for righties and more neutral for lefties. The park does remain a pretty good hitters park which favors power hitters, but that is much the same as before. (Which is what has been most impressive about how dominant our pitching staff has been.)

You have seen the Brewers new home- Centennial Stadium. I'll try to feature the others- in the MGL at least for now- as we head out on the road.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote