View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #90
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

The DH is born

Opening Day 1951 was upon us, and the designated hitter was a hit. Literally. Sam Crowley DH'ed for Northgate in a season-opening 13-1 win over rival Rocklyn, going 3-for-5 at the plate with a pair of doubles and 2 RBI. Crowley couldn't play defense worth a lick, but boy could the 38 year old still hit.

Meanwhile, Buck Kinsella had earned the opening day start for the Appaloosa Arrows, but was a tough luck loser against Westwood. He wrote this letter to Maxx, who was back home in Irontown getting ready for the Rookie League season:

Dear Dad,

Tough loss for us today. I didn't allow any earned runs (2 unearned) in six innings in a 2-1 loss to the Stars. I feel like I pretty much did all I could out there, though I didn't help myself out with an error. I'm remembering what you told me this offseason: I've got a bullseye on my back this year. I had the second lowest ERA in the league last season. I'm our #1 starter. I'm not going to catch anyone by surprise.

I will say it's a little weird not hitting anymore. I've done it all my life. I've never been very good at it (I have you to thank for that). Still, I feel like I'm slacking a little bit by sitting on the bench when my spot in the order comes up to bat. I suppose I'm not the only pitcher dealing with that, and I'll need to adjust.

I promise to send some postcards your way once we go on the road. I know Mom loves collecting those things. I'll send a postcard to grampa, too, from Santo Cielo for his 80th birthday. I really wish you guys could come see me play more often, but I understand.

Take care,
Buck
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
SimNation Fictional Universe (est. 1889)
This is Oakland A's Baseball
Beane Counting: The Oakland A's
Hendu Style is offline   Reply With Quote