View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 2010 (1938): Hubbell

To err is human, but to really mess things up you need the help of a computer.

Going back over the previous HOF and my list of RL corresponding HOFers, I found that I had 5 more players in my HOF than I had on my list of RL HOFers.

I had not entered 2 RL hitters, Travis Jackson and Hank Aaron. Even though Jackson is a lower tier HOFer and brought down the average numbers, the absence of Aaron greatly outweighed Jacksons downward pull, and the Gray Ink and HOFm modifiers both increased a tick.

I applied the new modifiers to this HOF. With the Gorilla Composite scores rounded to the nearest 10th, for display purposes, none of them were altered.

I had also inadvertently placed a HOFer for Clark Griffith, who is listed on BBREF as a Pioneer/Executive entry. In my mind, I had always thought Griffith was entered for his playing record. Looking at it, I see that it is a fair call to make, so I added him to the calculations for the pitcher modifiers. Having far fewer pitchers in the Hall, a single entry has more influence on the averages there, and Griffith pulled down the Gray Ink and HOFm numbers a tick for the pitchers.

Fortunately, this change from the previous numbers had no impact on the selections already made, but they will be in use for the rest of this run through. There are players that got in, or did not get in, by some hundredths of a point in a category in the first run through. When a player gets in, or doesn't get in, this has a Butterfly Effect for the selection process going forward, and I want the numbers to be as true as I can humanly make them.

I did wind up, somehow, entering 2 more HOFers last time than I should have entered. I will be more careful with this one. If Lance Blankenship enters this HOF, too, I may have to go away for some commitment time.

------------------------------

Carl Hubbell, speaking of getting in by hundredths of a point on a metric, enters at this time by the slimmest of slim margins. After going through the previous inductees and comparing how things broke down with the old numbers vs the new and finding no impact (thankfully), Hubbell makes it in with the new modifiers, but only because the new modifiers were in place. That is how close the call was for him.

This is not to say that he wouldn't have found his way in with the next class of pitchers, or later on the Veteran Standard, but he would not have gotten in this year.

Carl Hubbell was selected 7th overall in 1978 by the Mariners. He spent 14 seasons pitching home games in that now obliterated band box known as The Kingdome, and put up amazing numbers considering the environment.

In those 14 seasons, he had only 2 with a npa ERA+ below 100, the low being a 92. In 1980 he made 22 starts, pitched 15 complete games, 3 shut outs, a league best(!) 2.18 OOTP ERA (npa ERA+ 185), struck out 144, walked 33, for a division winning squad that won 94 games.....and he had a 7-11 record to show for it.

For his career, Hubbell posted a record of 238-209 and an OOTP ERA of 3.57 (npa ERA+ 116). He ranks 7th on the All-Time Win list.

Hubbell gets in as a Blylevenesque entry. He holds the mark for giving up the most HRs in a career (430), but he struck out 3000+ hitters (3147, 6th). He tossed 30 (8th) shutouts and 154 (4th) CGs. 8 times he led the league in K/W ratio.

In spite of all of this, he made only 3 All Star squads.

At age 38, he managed to pick up 10 wins pitching in San Diego. He went 6-5 in the following 1995 season for the Mets, and called it a career.

Hubbell gets in by virtue of his Gray Ink number being above the current Hall average.

Black Ink: 26 (51)
Gray Ink: 199 (252)
HOFm: 78 (174)
HOFs: 41 (41)

Gorilla Composite: 2.9 (4.5)
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote