View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewertoby View Post
Where has this game been all my life? How did I NOT know about this game?
I know how you feel.

Quote:
Can you still get fired in an on-line league? And then subsequently find a new job that was vacated by someone else?
You can't get fired in an online league; you could get booted out of one, but that would certainly only happen if you broke some league rules. You'd never get booted due to your team's performance, unless you displayed incompetence so complete that it was hurting league integrity. Teams do become available in leagues, when owners do leave, for whatever reason. Some leagues have waiting lists, but the average league probably only has one or two people already in line.

Quote:
When joining an on-line league, I'd like to know from some of you veterans of the game the right things to look for.
You seem to already know the type of league you want (real teams and players, as opposed to fictional), and that's the first step. Getting into a league with a good Commissioner is also important, but poor Commissioners are rare—any Commish who isn't dedicated will simply no longer have a league, in a short period of time. Therefore, look for things in a league that are important to you. Beyond having real teams and players, how detailed of a financial system do you want? How important is having a fancy website? Are you looking for a league with lots of writing, articles, and extra material provided by league participants, or are you just in it for the nuts-and-bolts, the gameplay itself, and will provide all the imagination on your own? A league's website will tell you a lot about a league. Of course, community veterans are a safe bet to place your confidence in, as Commissioners.

Other details to look at are: how often the league sims, in real time; most leagues sim three times a real week. There are exceptions though. The in-game pace of the simming is a factor, too. Most leagues sim between seven and fourteen days within-game per sim (seven, ten, and fourteen days per sim are by far the most common). Some leagues sim differently than that, though. Some burn through complete seasons as quickly as possible, maybe simming a month at a time. Others take it incredibly slowly, and sim at a real-time pace: one in-game day per real-time day.

When v10 comes out, a freshet of new leagues will flow forth. You won't have any trouble finding at least one which fits your criteria; and most of us who are into the online leagues thing don't stop at just one.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59

Last edited by satchel; 03-13-2009 at 09:43 PM.
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote