Thread: 1962 Mets
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

My '62 Mets ended with a record of 65-97. Good for 9th place in the 10-team National League. The Houston Colt 45's finished one game behind us. Although we lost our last 3 games to the Cubs, our post-All Star Game record was 34-39. Thank you, Al Kaline.

One of our players, Manny Jimenez made the top 25 Game Performances for Batters, going 4-5 with a HR, 4 RBIs, and 4 runs scored against Houston on 6/11. And Al Jackson made the top 25 for Pitchers in a complete game 1-hit, 5K shutout of the Milwaukee Braves on 9/25. Jackson also made the OSA Top 20 Pitchers at #12. And Al Kaline ranked #4 in the Top 20 Position Players. Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, and Mickey Mantle ranked ahead of him.

While I continue to think this is a fun way to play the game, I must admit that, even before the Al Kaline trade, it felt a little sacrilegious. I wasn't alive in 1962 but I can appreciate the remarkable (under) achievement. Only 4 teams in the modern era won less games then the real 62 Mets. That takes something.

I'm reading Jimmy Breslin's "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game." I got this edition from the library:

In the first chapter, Breslin - a New York sports reporter I used to read in the NY Daily News - writes:

"It was a team that featured three twenty-game losers, an opening day outfield that held the all-time major-league record for fathering children (nineteen), a defensive catcher who couldn't catch, and an over-all collection of strange players who performed strange feats. Yet it was absolutely wonderful. People loved it."

Feels funny trying to break that. But oh well ... on to the First-Year Player Draft.

But wait ... the 1962 World Series featuring the SF Giants and the Minnesota Twins. (Originally, it was the SF Giants versus the NY Yankees.) I watched this on Simulation Mode Speed Factor 120 and was not disappointed. Minnesota went up 3 games to none. Now you know that no team has come back from 3 to 0 hole in the World Series. Ever. But this is OOTP! Players don't give up. And the Giants had Willie Mays, who went 15-30 with 3 homers and 11 RBIs. And Billy O'Dell who started 3 games and went 2-0 with an ERA of .72. Yes, the Giants came back and won the Series.
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote