View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #46
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
The NCAA is supposedly waiting until the feds are done, then they will "investigate". Just how spirited that effort will be remains in doubt.

1. The NCAA overstepped their bounds when they penalized Penn St for the Sandusky fiasco.

2. The NCAA got caught breaking their own rules when they had Miami(FL) dead to rights on Shapiro giving illegal gifts to Hurricanes football players.

3. The NCAA gave the appearance of impotence when they couldn't punish UNC for their twisted academic manipulations. That view was fueled by false media reporting and commentating.

4. Kids getting paid under the table is college basketball's version of MLB's steroids. The media & powers-that-be have known about it for decades, but turned away because no one wanted to interrupt the "flow of home runs". Big name programs are involved. And since the NCAA has added "should have known" to their list of penalties, "plausible deniability" is no longer in play for people like koach k or Bill Self.

So the NCAA is in a precarious position. W/power conference football schools already mildly contemplating a break from the NCAA, coming down hard on dook, Kansas and Arizona is going to push the basketball schools to get from under the NCAA's archaic rules.

That's why I'm glad all of this junk is being exposed. Because in my mind, what these defendants did is not illegal. It's against NCAA rules, not federal law. They are "wrong" for not following the NCAA's laughable code of honor. But there isn't another institution where what they did would amount to criminal activity except under the NCAA's scope. If this doesn't show the powers-that-be that the NCAA needs to be pulled into the 21st century, then they will never be convinced.

So how hard do they want to pursue this?

well its kinda stupid how the NCAA picks and chooses their punishments. I mean, kelvin Sampson was basically banned from coaching because he made some phone calls outside the allotted time to do so. to me that seems a minor infraction *shrug* compared to paying recruits, which is serious cheating
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote