View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #49
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Yes, Commissioner Mode, otherwise I couldn't make the changes in the league when needed.

I don't think it needs more tinkering though: the age limits and roster size limits for the three minor leagues seem to be working:

A bunch of 35 year-old players whose last seasons were very partial (5 at bats or batted .100 or whatever) retire now, and some who are younger, age 25 but stuck in A level because they are not very good (rare but a few), or 29 and stuck in AA because they are not very good, leave as well. The five round draft seems to be enough, but if it is not and rosters seem vacant at some point I will move it back to 8.

I am managing the Cleveland Blues.
I'll advocate for a five round draft. I've had it for 63 seasons now, and it always seems to produce a situation where there are about 50 free agents on the day before free agents file again. You want to have enough free agents so that teams can replace injured players after the trade deadline passes, and that to me shows there are enough...but not too many. Delicate balance. Then again you are playing with minor leagues and low injuries whereas I'm playing with unlimited reserve rosters and high injuries, so we don't exactly have the same settings. What makes random debut great is that you start off with a guaranteed 44 players per team, and it usually goes up from there. There really is no time where you feel that your league is short of players. Try playing 19th century straight historical sometime. Yeesh! No thanks. Too many teams barely scraping by with enough players to play games.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote