View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Mortimer
Minors (Double A)

the ottp manual is not finished and the ootp11 manual seems to be down after the recent crash, but if they get it back up the ootp11 manual should be up and it is very close to this game so should help a lot.

as for pointers I am not 100% sure...I know I found this game a little daunting at first and I was very familiar with the game.

some things you can try to simplify things would be:

-create a small league with only a major league. when you get dealing with minors you will basically have 2 or more teams to control at all times.

-load up the MLB quick start or the mlb template but play as a minor league manager...the GM of the team will make the roster moves for you and you can focus on managing the game

-ask the manager or bench coach for depth charts and pitching staff...I sometimes asked for both when I started and adjusted them as needed.

-try to catch a few games on TV. Watch it trying to see what they are doing and why and relating it to ottp. It takes awhile to learn that way but it really does help a lot as you pick up the game...before you know it you'll be questioning your teams GM and manager

as far as actual roster moves and how to better your team there are a lot of theories and every one in the majors even have different ideas. A traditional line up will have the #1 batter as a guy with speed that can get on base, #2 is a contact guy that can put the ball in play and move the runner #3 is usually the best hitter on the team, #4 is the guy that will hit with the most power, and after that you can pretty much place your other batters in ascending order to the batting average.

As far as your roster teams will normally have 25 players: 11-12 pitchers, 2-3 catchers, 6-7 infielders, and 5-6 outfielders. I usually start with the minimum for each group which gives you 24 then add to help my weakest areas. also it helps if your back ups can play more than one position..some times they will play in infield and outfield spots.

this will hopefully be a good start as for other questions the manual should help with a lot of them when it gets up and other specifics you can ask here or can look on the web for questions...sometimes you can find good answers but some of the official rules get a little hard to understand.
Mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote